Question

Honor Student
jason4321
Message 1 of 4 (1,097 Views)

Installed New Hard Drive but Recovery disks get stuck at 99% while trying to install

I just purchased a new SSD for my HP Pavilion Dv7 4073 and have been attempting to recover the Operating System from the disks that HP sent me on the new Hard drive but everytime it gets stuck at 99% and keeps popping up with an error message about box 15 or something.  I have tried to install it 3 times now and get same results. 

I thought it might be harddrive so I installed a version of Windows Xp on the machine and it worked just fine and had no problems installing.  I don't have any other CD's than the recovery CD's that HP provided me but I do have the product key for windows 7.  I have heard that a Drive needs to be tattooed for the recovery CD's to work on it but im not sure of that.  I still have the other hard drive with windows 7 on it but have had it not in the computer.  Any help getting this resolved would be great.  Just want to get Windows 7 on my SSD already.  Don't know anyone with a version of Windows 7 either, to borrow CD for DL or something.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 4 (1,058 Views)

Re: Installed New Hard Drive but Recovery disks get stuck at 99% while trying to install

Your problem might be a size of the SSD. The recovery disks from HP are created for a specific hard drive (mine for a 500GB one). If you have a larger or in case of a SSD smaller drive (mine disks don't work because I have a 180GB SSD) than the original one, it won't work. You can't restore a 500GB system image on a 256GB SSD or HDD (for example) or I don't think you can. 

It may work when you put back the original hard drive and create a system image in Windows (the C: drive only). Windows 7 Home Premium support it. When you get the image, restore it on the SSD. However, make sure that the C: drive is not much bigger than your SSD.

Another way is to install an OEM version of Windows 7 (the same as the original one), use the product key (untick activate online) and wait until an activation message comes up, then activate it by phone (worked for me 3x).

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
jason4321
Message 3 of 4 (1,031 Views)

Re: Installed New Hard Drive but Recovery disks get stuck at 99% while trying to install

Thanks for the advice.  Actual got two different copies of Windows 7 but they were both the wrong versions.  First was professional and the last was ultimate.  Im not even sure what ultimate is, but this is really freaking annoying. I am not sure how to create an image so I will need to read up on that.  Ill keep you all posted on the install.  Thanks for help so far.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 4 (1,026 Views)

jason4321 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  Actual got two different copies of Windows 7 but they were both the wrong versions.  First was professional and the last was ultimate.  Im not even sure what ultimate is, but this is really freaking annoying. I am not sure how to create an image so I will need to read up on that.  Ill keep you all posted on the install.  Thanks for help so far.

The best way is to do a fresh install of Windows (50GB for the C: drive is enough). Then download and install all necessary drivers from the support website and create a backup system image on Windows.

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation