Question

Top Student
JaniseLauren
Message 1 of 6 (4,990 Views)

Installed new internal hard drive, now what??

I recently ordered a new internal hard drive after my original one crashed. I have installed it but am wondering what I need to do next. I was told I needed recovery CDs, but if it is a new hard drive wouldn't I need to install a new operating system?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (4,943 Views)

Re: Installed new internal hard drive, now what??

[ Edited ]

HI,

JaniseLauren wrote:

I recently ordered a new internal hard drive after my original one crashed. I have installed it but am wondering what I need to do next. I was told I needed recovery CDs, but if it is a new hard drive wouldn't I need to install a new operating system?

The operating system (OS) that your notebook came installed with is on the HP Recovery discs or USB media that you should have created.

Put the recovery disc 1 in the DVD drive and press the power button. Enter the Recovery manager and let it install the OS to the new hard drive.

If you don't have an HP Recovery disc set you can order a set for very little money.

Please identify your notebook

Look at the base of the notebook at the barcoded sticker and post everything you see there except the serial number.

c01931836.gif

Also post the operating system that was installed.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
JaniseLauren
Message 3 of 6 (4,909 Views)

Okay, I know absolutely nothing about computers, unfortunately. When I start the computer after I insert the recovery CD, is there anything that I need to do to start the process? or will it do that on its own?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (4,903 Views)

HI,

JaniseLauren wrote:

Okay, I know absolutely nothing about computers, unfortunately. When I start the computer after I insert the recovery CD, is there anything that I need to do to start the process? or will it do that on its own?

The first step is to answer the identification questions so I can link to information pertinent to you notebook. Help me help you..

More information is much better than the no information that you have provided so far. :smileyhappy:

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
JaniseLauren
Message 5 of 6 (4,890 Views)

product: touchsmart tx2

product number: NV174UA#ABA

model number: tx2 - 1270us

It had windows 7 on it when the hard drive crashed, but i believe it came with vista premium.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (4,877 Views)

HI,

JaniseLauren wrote:

product: touchsmart tx2

product number: NV174UA#ABA

model number: tx2 - 1270us

It had windows 7 on it when the hard drive crashed, but i believe it came with vista premium.

OK. Here are instructions on how to accomplish the recovery.

There should be a Windows operating system sticker on the notebook that shows what it was delivered with.

Here is a link to your touchsmart notebook's support pages.

Why in the world would you want to go back to Windows Vista?

IMO Windows 7 is everything Vista wanted to be.

All of the software(including  N-Trig Duo sense digitizer software) that Vista had for your touchsmart is available for Windows 7. Look in the Drivers & Software section under Windows 7 32 & 64-bit. There is also a patch available that allows you to recover to Windows 7 once the notebook has been upgraded to Windows 7.

Best regards,
erico

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation