Question

Student
cypherpunk01
Message 1 of 5 (6,992 Views)

Installing Linux on a Pavilion dm4-1165dx

Does anyone have any advice for installing Linux on an HP laptop, specifically a dm4?

I've never used anything beyond Windows and I don't have much experience installing operating systems so I have some questions. I'm not computer illiterate but I'm a noob when it comes to this sort of thing and to non-Windows operating systems in general.

A. Compatibility issues. Will I have trouble with some of my new computer's hardware, i.e. the webcam, the wi-fi adapters, the touchpad, the fingerprint reader, etc. Does anyone know which distro is the most compatible? Also does anyone have any advice for a linux compatible wireless mouse?

B. Keeping the factory recovery partition. As I said earlier I don't have much experiencing installing operating systems and was wondering if anyone has any advice for installing Linux while keeping the recovery partition so that I can go back to Windows. Note this computer is brand new and has nothing on it but factory-installed bloatware so I have no problems with losing data so long as I am able to reinstall Windows if I need to.

C. Linux and HP in general. If anyone has any other general advice for running Linux on an HP laptop I would appreciate it.

Regents Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 5 (6,966 Views)

Re: Installing Linux on a Pavilion dm4-1165dx

A: I suggest to do some research on linux forums, like ubuntu.com, mandriva, mint, pclos and other distro forums. I used to use Ubuntu but newer distros are worse and worse. I use Sabayon linux http://www.sabayon.org/

Everything works out of the box, including webcam, wifi card, sound card, graphics card, flash videos, etc.

B: Make a recovery dvd(usb) using the recovery partition so you don't need the partition anymore. Then delete the partition(also shrink the Windows partition) and use the free space for linux.

C: Linux users recommend(including myself) HP laptops and desktops as linux friendly user computers.

Linux distros..

http://distrowatch.com/

Try linux Mint..

Dv6-7000 /Full HD/Core i5-3360M/GF 650M/Corsair 8GB/Intel 7260AC/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Wheeze

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
FakeNameHere
Message 3 of 5 (6,312 Views)

you've probably already (attempted) to act on this already

I was NOT able to install CentOS/RHEL on this same model of laptop, but was able to install Ubuntu (or more technically, I couldn't find/install graphics display drivers for RHEL within 4 hours, so gave up and went with another distro).

Things that I still haven't configured with it (that would be nice)

1. The default touchpad driver does not work properly

• it does not support multiple fingers touching it simultaneously (used for scrolling, etc)
  • the right "button" functions as a left button
  • the button areas function as trying to guide the mouse - so the first point goes for this region as well

2. I cannot get the wireless card to work properly for my work network, but that may be because of various VPN, etc security settings

3. I doubt that the fingerpad security thing has a valid linux driver or app.

As to the partitions: you'll have to wipe out at least one partition as the max number of primary partitions are pre-mapped (or you need 1 partition for /boot and one for the rest?  can't remember).  As HP doesn't ship  win7 install media (grrr) with the computer, if you want to keep 7, it's simplest to keep that (and the system) partition intact.

I wiped out the last HP tools partition (I mapped it to a drive letter and backed it up onto my C: drive first, but I don't know if there was much of a point in this, as you're going from a FAT32 to NTFS, and the point of the tools is when your main NTFS partition is misbehaving...).  Then I shrunk the main win7 partition (freeing up a 200GB block) as the 105MB former tools partition isn't enough to run linux for long.  Then I installed ubuntu (be careful with the options that you install) and the grub2 bootloader (it's fine going to the disk /dev/sda1 or whatever the root is).

I personally did this all about 3 weeks ago, so my memory may be foggy in spots.  So, use common sense and don't sue me if your computer catches fire (or you lose all your data)!:smileytongue:

Good luck!

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 4 of 5 (6,299 Views)

I have Wubi. It's a "virtualized" Ubuntu that could be run in Windows. You could also remove it from your computer by going to the Control Panel like you would with any other program.
I have had Ubuntu on an HP laptop and currently have Wubi on my HP laptop.
I also tried Linux Mint and it is by far my favorite Linux distro.
Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 5 (6,281 Views)

You can use either Recovery or Tools partition for Linux install. Be sure to burn a Recovery DVD set before changing anything since recovery via the partition usually doesn't work after modifying of partitions.

Some reading to do before messing with partitions>> HERE

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation