Question

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 1 of 1 (711 Views)

Installing OEM W7 on a new HDD

[ Edited ]

I have a dv8 t 1000 cto and I have installed a new solid state hard drive in and I am going to use an OEM retail version of W7 on it rather than the HP install discs with all the bloat ware.

The only way to I have found to get the Media Smart button and the volume slider to work is to install the Media smart MVP software. What this appears to do is also install two other Microsoft applications :

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable 8.0.56336

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable 9.0.30729.17

I do not need Media Smart MVP, so I then uninstall that and at this point I can even uninstall the two Microsoft applications and the volume and the Media smart button continues to function normally. ( guess the OS hangs on to the correct registry files even when I uninstall the MVP software and the MS applications)

Can some one here please confirm that the two Microsoft applications are responsible for the proper functions of the key board filter or are there applications with in the HP MVP software that enable the proper function of the hot keys ? (volume & Media Smart button)

If I download HP DVD and HP Webcam this had no affect on my problem. It's only the MVP software that fixes this. I am experimenting on a used hard drive first to get it right.

I would like to be able to have the proper function of the hot keys with out having to install and then uninstall the huge file of 349 MB of the MVP software.

I have tried to find these two specific applications from Microsoft, but I can't find them. There are similar ones on the MS web site but the do not work. Which brings me back to an earlier question : do these two applications have any thing to do with solving my problem ?

However, if that is what it's going to take to get the proper function of the hot-keys is to go through the drill of installing and uninstalling the HP MVP software, then so be it, but I would really like to find out what the exact applications are needed.

Thank You   thu

PS.    I know that the Media Smart Smart Menu is responsible for the function of the volume control, it's only when I install the large program of HP MVP that it allows the volume slider to work to work.

I just checked something too. The Media Smart Smart Menu is not actually running and active in the task manager. It should be. That would appear to be the problem. So the obvious question here is how to get it to run on start up with out having to install HP MVP ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation