Question

Tutor
volvo_man
Message 1 of 17 (206 Views)

Installing Windows on an NC6400

Hello,

I have an HP NC6400. I bought it without an perating system on it, but when I turned the computer on it gave me an error that there was no hard drive installed (even though there was). Thinking that there could possibly be a bad hard drive, I swapped it over and tried a different one (two different ones actually) but when I try to install Windows (XP home edition) it gives me an error that said that no hard drive could be detected.

I tried installing Windows 7 (as a temporary OS) and it seemed to install OK, but then wouldn't boot properly. I tried Linux which seemed to work fine but it started giving me some issues, and I would prefer to have XP.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be my problem here?

Thank you.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 17 (190 Views)

Re: Installing Windows on an NC6400

Hi:

Please read the info at the link below, Intel Section, and then read and follow the instructions on the downloadable PDF document for how to slipstream all of the XP drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on...

Tutor
volvo_man
Message 3 of 17 (161 Views)

Hello
Sorry about the delayed reply.
I followed all the steps from the link that you posted, however, the problem persists.
I tried disabling "Naive Mode" in the BIOS, after doing this the hard drive was recognized but the install disc still would not work properly.
Also, the link you posted was a bit ambiguous in some ways - am I meant to slipstream only one driver or all of them?
Thanks
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 17 (159 Views)

You slipstream all of them unless you know what sata controller your model has (ICH 7M).

Since you have to go through all of the effort to do that, why not slipstream all of them is what I recommend.

That way the disk will work on several intel based desktops and notebooks, not just the nc6400.

Tutor
volvo_man
Message 5 of 17 (155 Views)

OK thanks. I'll try that now and let you know if it works.
Thanks
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 17 (154 Views)

You're very welcome.

If you can't sort it out, just install XP with your good XP disk with the sata native mode disabled and I will give you the step by step instructions to install the sata drivers with XP in IDE mode so you can change the sata native mode bios setting back to enabled.

Tutor
volvo_man
Message 7 of 17 (153 Views)

I tried slipstreaming all of the drivers and it seemed to work; there was no issue recognizing the hard drive.
However, part of the way through the installation I got a blue screen that said
"STOP: C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum)
The image olethk32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."
ANy suggestions as to what might be the problem here and how I could fix it?
Thanks
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 17 (150 Views)

Hi:

I wouldn't know what the problem could be.

Use the Windows XP disk you used as the source to copy, and install XP with the sata native mode disabled, and here are the step by step instructions to install the sata drivers with the sata native mode disabled so you can change it back to enabled.

1.  Install the chipset driver first & reboot:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

The following steps are used for installing AHCI drivers in Windows XP operating system installed using the IDE mode.

2. Download the AHCI driver from the link below (first file listed-32 bit), then extract the files to a folder you name. Put the folder on your C: drive and remember where you put it so you can browse to it .

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18668&keyword=F6&lang=eng

3. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

4. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

5. You will find the Intel serial ATA storage controller drive listed.

6. Right-click on the Serial ATA storage controller listed, and click Update Driver .

7. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

8. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

9. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

10. Click Have Disk

11. Click Browse

12. Select location: c:\folder you saved ACHI drivers to.

13. Select iaAHCI.inf

14. Click Open

15. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select the Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller.

Click Next.

16. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Ignore and click Yes

17. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

18. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

19. During restart, press the F10 key and boot to BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA Native Mode back to Enabled, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now the SATA driver is successfully installed, and the notebook will boot into Windows with SATA Native Mode set to AHCI.

The driver will continue to install, and you will be asked to reboot again.

Paul

Tutor
volvo_man
Message 9 of 17 (148 Views)

OK thank you, I will try that.
Do I need to do anything to put it into IDE mode?
The first time I tried to install with SATA native mode disabled, the installation didn't work; it kept coming up with dialogue boxes saying that a file was missing and it eventually just got stuck and wouldn't progress any further.
Thanks
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 17 (146 Views)

All you need to do is change the sata native mode to disabled and if you are using a known good Windows XP installation disk, it should install with no issues.

If you are getting any errors installing XP with the sata native mode disabled, then try another XP disk because it is very possible something is wrong with that one and it may also be why the slipstreaming is not working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation