Installing XP on HP G62-340US notebook Questions (1937 Views)
Honor Student
Hera
Message 1 of 5 (1,937 Views)

Installing XP on HP G62-340US notebook Questions

I didn't seem to have luck with the "32bit_ATI_SB7xx_RAID&AHCI_driver_v9-4_WHQL" driver, I am going to see if the other set works (sp43839).

What is the easy way to get XP to install from a USB?

I don't feel like wasting disks for copies that BSOD with ACHI SATA architecture.

Are there any drivers that are simply not available for XP for HP G62-340US notebook?

That is, purely from a driver availability standpoint, should I just foget about doing this?

Offtopic,

If within the warranty, I send the notebook for service (hardware problems) and have no Windows 7 installed (I also formatted the backup partition, it will have XP now), would this be problematic?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 5 (1,903 Views)

Re: Installing XP on HP G62-340US notebook Questions

Hera wrote:

Offtopic,

If within the warranty, I send the notebook for service (hardware problems) and have no Windows 7 installed (I also formatted the backup partition, it will have XP now), would this be problematic?

They would most likely reinstall the original OS, so back up before you send it in.

Honor Student
Hera
Message 3 of 5 (1,867 Views)

So, they will actually delete all the information on the disk? Wow, that is rather stupid.

Anyway, I got it installed, now I need to get all the drivers. Any ideas?

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 5 (1,849 Views)

You are running XP on unsupported hardware, so it is trial and error getting drivers that work.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, here (before Radeon drivers)

Radeon_Catalyst Software Suite Here

MS UAA must be installed before Audio.

MS UAA , here 

Or>MS UAA for XP SP3, here

Realtek Audio Here

Not sure if you have Ralink or Broadcom wireless.If it is Ralink it may take more work. Try Part 3 of the XP Downgrade Guide for missing drivers and post back with results.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Hera
Message 5 of 5 (1,795 Views)

I had some weird issues installing .NET 3.5 (on a fresh copy of XP SP3), but I think it got installed.

Radeon Catalyst seems to have installed no actual drivers. This was evident when I tried uninstalling it and it didn't actually uninstall my GPU driver. What the hell?

I did get a more or less functional driver from another source (can't recall from top of my head) - it doesn't deliver satisfactory performance - things get stuck for some time when watching YouTube video.

Considering that ATi GPU has been largely a dissapointment to this point compared to NVIDIA (in areas such as XP x86_64 driver support for example), does ATi drivers for Windows XP offer h264 and AVC hardware acceleration (DXVA)?

I did get other functional drivers from that site though (one missing driver and one updated) for motherboard. Thanks for that.

Realtek Audio driver quit due to an unkown error. Maybe because the driver I had installed before trying those were newer? Anyway, I got XP drivers from Realtek directly and they are working.

The network component such as the wireless stuff was one of the first things I got working.

Currently I had zero missing drivers, but ATi drivers seems to a complete letdown for now.

It seems, due to ATi marvelous support for their own hardware, my main goal with this will not be achieve unlike on my NVIDIA/INTEL systems. With NVIDIA/INTEL systems such as 8600M/C2D2.4Ghz and ION/AtomN270, native DirectX 9 environment aka Windows XP SP3 offers superiour performance to native Direct X10 environment aka W7 when running DirectX9 software aka majority of PC Video Games out there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation