Question

Tutor
tomay3000
Message 1 of 9 (4,227 Views)

Insyde Bios

Is there anyway to patch the Insyde BIOS ? To change Keyboard configuration, to make (F1 & F2) Increase / Decrease Brightness Keyboard buttons also working on Windows XP :mansad: Help me please
Tomay
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 9 (4,223 Views)

Re: Insyde Bios

Hi,

tomay3000 wrote:
Is there anyway to patch the Insyde BIOS ? To change Keyboard configuration, to make (F1 & F2) Increase / Decrease Brightness Keyboard buttons also working on Windows XP :mansad: Help me please
What is the model name/number of your HP desktop PC?
Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
tomay3000
Message 3 of 9 (4,221 Views)

I am sorry for my post, I thought that I posted it in Notebook section:

Mine is hp pavilion dm3-1060ef Notebook PC (VJ232EA#ABF)

Tomay
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 9 (4,208 Views)

HI,

tomay3000 wrote:

I am sorry for my post, I thought that I posted it in Notebook section:

Mine is hp pavilion dm3-1060ef Notebook PC (VJ232EA#ABF)

That can be done in the operating system. It involves hacking the registry not the BIOS. The assignment of function keys in the BIOS is best left alone.  Take a read of this from a blog on the web.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
tomay3000
Message 5 of 9 (4,190 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for replying to me. But you SharpKeys is not working. it can not recognize the E0_3F 00 key code which correspond the Increase and Decrease Brightness buttons

Tomay
Top Student
totovox
Message 6 of 9 (4,182 Views)

[ Edited ]

FYI this has nothing to do with BIOS. The BIOS itself works off a generic abstract interface to a controller chip on the keyboard most likely through another controller chip such as the South Bridge which has USB and PS/2 controller functionality.

When the OS boots the BIOS channels nothing to/from it. The OS has a kernel and drivers that work over a generic abstraction layer on the software level that provide abstract access to memory that lets the drivers coomunicate with devices and chips and it channels that through memory managed by the kernel which is accessed usually by generic or vendor DLL suites.

To change this one of 3 things would halve to happen:

-Reverse engineering the driver or DLLs that support the function. These buttons arents generic so it's most likely a custom driver and/or dll suite.

-Use a configuration utility in the correct suite for the device

-See if it's mapped in windows registry and swap values

Also BIOS is no-mans land even for hackers in most cases. Everything is undocumented and even lower level than machine code you see in binaries under windows OS. I can program and even design circuits and I just had to order a preflashed BIOS cause the old one corrupted and CMOS clear wouldn't fix it. Don't look for support if you mess it up. End-Users have to fork over hundreds of dollars to get them repaired.

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 9 (4,160 Views)

Do you have the HP Quicklaunch software installed?

BTW...I asked a Moderator to move this to the Notebook section.

Best regards,
erico

Tutor
tomay3000
Message 8 of 9 (4,153 Views)

ofcourse installed the latest version available on hp ftps & also the latest BIOS update

Tomay
Provost
erico
Message 9 of 9 (4,078 Views)

Hi,

Does the increase/decrease brightness work in the normal manner when you press the function key and tap thee associated keys marked in blue on the keyboard?

If it does, good for you it is operating as designed.  If you want to modify that then you are on your own. The BIOS can be modified but I advise against it unless this latop is a testbed you are playing around with.

Information on modification of the BIOS and program utilities can be found through diligent searching online and experimentation.

Good luck and have fun,

erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation