Question

Honor Student
Kate1806PA
Message 1 of 9 (2,925 Views)

Integrated webcam

I have and HP Pavilion g7-1150us Notebook PC, Product Number LW320UA#ABA, Windows 7 Home Premium.  How do I turn on the integrated webcam?  Skype suddenly can not detect the webcam.  It tells me to be sure the webcam is turned on.  How do I turn the webcam on.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 9 (2,898 Views)

Re: Integrated webcam

Here is the official help guide for All things Webcam:

Connecting and Testing Webcam in Windows 7

More Help:

YouCam Quick Setup

Video calling on Skype

If you think, after reading the documentation, that you might benefit from reinstalling the Cyberlink webcam driver, you can find it here on your computer's website:

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion g7-1150us Notebook PC

Look in Category - Software - Multimedia

==========================================================================

Sometimes, things get confused and a Hard Reset helps.  For notebooks with a removable battery, this is a method for resetting the hardware - a managed "disconnect" and "reconnect".  It is not usually something that works for webcams in particular, but it does not take a long time and it can be worth the effort.

===================================================================

The Hard Reset:

This method works for a variety of Driver connection and ‘stuck’ program issues.

• Shut down the computer
  • Disconnect all external devices - everything.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 30 seconds
  • Reinstall the AC power cord for first startup ** See Note
  • Power on - Log in
  • Next time you shut down the system, reinstall battery.

** Note:  If time is short, reinstall battery the first time and be done with it.

Reference:

Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues

===================================================================

Good Luck!  I hope something here helps.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
ralphmcralphie
Message 3 of 9 (2,825 Views)

HP Pavilion DM1 integrated webcam not working after restore of factory settings

I own an HP Pavilion DM1 model 3101 which I bought in the UK about a year ago.  This model has an integrated webcam that I have used in the past for Skype calls.

A few weeks ago, I chose to use the recovery manager to restore the laptop to factory settings.  This all went fine.  When I went to install and use Skype, no webcam was available.  No webcam was listed in the device manager.

I have searched these forums extensively and tried just about every solution I can find:

1.  I read all the suggestions on 'Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 7)' - the device isn't listed in the device manager, but none of the suggestions work.

2.  Installed Youcam software and driver - error message is 'No webcam detected.  Try plugging in a webcam into your computer now.  If you are using an integrated camera, make sure that it is turned on.'

3.  I tried installing old webcam drivers for Vista.  No change.

4.  I did another restore of factory settings and reinstalled HP Mediasmart webcam which gave me the same error message as Youcam.

This is very frustrating.  I checked all the drivers and utility options in the recovery manager and there is no option for installing a webcam driver.

So is this a firmware or a hardware problem? Is it possible that by restoring the factory settings I also restored a previous version of the firmware which now does not recognise my webcam?

If anyone has had a similar problem (integrated webcam not working after restore of factory settings) and they solved it, please let me know how.

Thanks very much

Ralph

Honor Student
Kate1806PA
Message 4 of 9 (2,819 Views)

Re: Integrated webcam

Nothing I did seemed to work, so I backed up my files and did a system recovery.  I am in the process of putting all the files back to where they originally where.  At first I was panic struck because I couldn't find files, but found them on the C drive.    Webcam came back but I have not tried Skype yet.     

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 9 (2,797 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DM1 integrated webcam not working after restore of factory settings

Ralph,

I do not have your exact product number (there are four in the 3101 category) nor your Operating System 32/64bit...  Nonetheless, here is something that is different from the usual "do a Hard Reset" and may be of use:

HP Pavilion dm1 Webcam Not Working After OS Change

I did check the settings against my own registry (Win 7 Ultimate - 64bit) and the instructions / setup are in place on my computer as described at the site.  ... My webcam does work.

• Please do an EXPORT of your registry prior to making any changes to it. 
  • You will find "Export" under "File" after you open the registry editor.

Start > search / type "regedit" > Click on regedit.exe to open the Registry editor

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is always possible that one of the tiny wires in the webcam has come loose.  Tiny webcam wires are notorious for doing this.  The timing is admittedly somewhat of an issue. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have NOT done the Hard Reset, then I do suggest you do so.  It is entirely possible (for any notebook with a removable battery) that the whole issue is do to a confusion (corruption) of the Device Manager settings that can be cleared by a complete and managed disconnect and reconnect of the hardware.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
ralphmcralphie
Message 6 of 9 (2,759 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DM1 integrated webcam not working after restore of factory settings

Lucky you Kate.  Hope you fixed it.

Dragon Fur thanks for your help but none of this worked for me.

I am using Windows 7 32 bit edition that came pre-installed with the laptop, which I recently backed up using the recovery manager. 

I don't want to take the cover back off the laptop again to check the exact model number, not sure there's that much difference between the DM1 3101 variants anyway.

I tried the hard reset - didn't work.

I followed the instructions in the 'what I learned today' blog.  There was already a DWORD with a hex value of 10 in that particular reg setting and I added a KS DWORD with a value of 1, but none of this worked.

The only other thing I might mention is that in device manager under 'Sound, video and game controllers' I have 3 entries:  ATI High Definition Audio Device, HP Webcam Splitter, and IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.

The Webcam Splitter (whatever that is) says its working fine and when I go to update the driver it says it is up to date.  Is the 'HP Webcam Splitter' the right driver for the integrated webcam on a DM1?

Thanks again for any guidance you can offer.

RMR

Honor Student
Kate1806PA
Message 7 of 9 (2,741 Views)

Yes, the System Recovery did work for me using the Recovery Manager.   You  do need to back up all your files before you do the System Recovery so you can restore them afterwards and not lose any of your pictures, document,s etc.  I also needed to reinstall any software that didn't come with the computer and update security files from Microsoft and HP.  It is a long process but was worth it.   Since HP no longer gives you recovery discs with the purchase,  I also made the one time copy they permit you to make yourself thru the Recovery Manager before I even started the process.  I had no idea that was even available.    Everything is back and working fine so far.  My Webcam worked fine with Skype.   I have Windows 7 64 bit.   If you go to the HP Support Assistant you will find your Product and Serial numbers at the bottom of the page.  I also tried the hard reset which did not work for me either.  Sorry nothing is working for you.  I am strictly a novice when it comes to the computer world, so backing up my files and doing the system recovery was all I could think of doing to return the computer to its originally operating system. 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 8 of 9 (2,701 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ralph,

The registry fix was a long shot; it was worth looking at...

I do not know about that Webcam Splitter software...  the only info I can find for that offsite from HP -- I suspect my search might be to blame when I fail to find things.   Nonetheless, it does not sound familiar.

This Cyberlink YouCam software is rated for the dm1 system:

Cyberlink YouCam Software sp54246 V3.5.0.4305DE/3.5.14305BE

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and
saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where
the downloaded file is saved).
2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

You might check in your Recovery Manager to see if that Webcam Splitter software is available for recovery as it may be necessary to remove the Webcam Splitter before the YouCam software will install.  I have only one Win7 download source for Webcam Spltter software for you; it may not be the same version you have now.

Webcam Splitter - driveridentifier.com

=================================================================================

FYI:

Locate the Notebook Product Number

Also:

FN (function key) + ESC will pop a window to provide the product number and other information...

=================================================================================

I hope this helps...

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
harrygill
Message 9 of 9 (2,607 Views)

Even i have done the same thing.......but my problem is solved by these steps..

1. Click Start , type Recovery , and select Recovery Manager from the search results list.
  2. Select Advanced options .
  3. Select Software program re-installation , and follow the on-screen instructions to re-install MediaSmart or YouCam.c02457330.gif
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation