Is Jucheck safe? (12908 Views)
Top Student
tallulah
Message 1 of 5 (12,908 Views)

Is Jucheck safe?

Jucheck always wants to update Java for me. but i thought java was part of Sun (something). i use to get update notices from Sun systems (or something like that), but now jucheck is often wanting to make updates. The info available by googling jucheck is mainly from companies who are trying to play on people's concerns so they can sell you some program. Should i allow Jucheck to update java?

Teacher
JMyrc
Message 2 of 5 (12,901 Views)

Re: Is Jucheck safe?

jucheck.exe commonly pops up on systems with Norton installed.  For whatever reason, Norton does not detect the Sunfire's license properly and as such pops it up as coming from an "Unknown Publisher."

It is perfectly safe to allow it to run on your computer.  It simply stands for (j)ava (u)pdate check, and is basically checking against Sunfire's website to see if any new versions are available for upgrade.  If you ignore it you probably won't see any major differences, but it's better to keep it updated as websites are constantly coming out with new versions of Javascript, so to keep from having compatibility issues with certain websites, it is best to just accept the updates.

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
Intern
oldschooltech
Message 3 of 5 (12,884 Views)

Just to confirm what the other poster is saying: There's no reason to mistrust Sun's updates.  You allow Microsoft's updates, don't you?  Guess whose updates could do the most damage?  :smileywink:

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Student
sandollar
Message 4 of 5 (11,990 Views)

Thanks for the reassuring information.  I was worried it was a virus, not an update! 

Tutor
Konoshy
Message 5 of 5 (11,676 Views)

Sun Microsystems, Inc. merged with a company called Oracle USA, Inc. If the company name on the update is Oracle America, Inc. then the update is safe because that is what the two companies merged to become.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation