Java on a Pavilion g7 (104 Views)
Tutor
tom841
Message 1 of 7 (104 Views)
Accepted Solution

Java on a Pavilion g7

Second time I've posted this, but I cannot find the original post.

I downloaded Java to enable using a crossword function on a web page.  Every time I attempt to open the crossword site I receive a message that security settings blocked a program (which I assume is Java).  What security settings are these and how do I change them to allow Java to run?

Tutor
Kilo_Papa
Message 2 of 7 (96 Views)

Re: Java on a Pavilion g7

Did you verify your version of java?  They usually make you go back to the oracle website and confirm that it was installed before the update becomes active.

Tutor
tom841
Message 3 of 7 (90 Views)

First, thanks for answering.

I have version 1.7.0.  I have been to the Oracle web page, but see no way to tell Oracle I have installed it.  How do I do that?

Tom

Tutor
Kilo_Papa
Message 4 of 7 (88 Views)

[ Edited ]

Belay my last comment.  Go directly to Java's website, click downloads and then re-download java.  When the process is complete a text box from Java should pop up saying installation is complete and that you need to close and reopen your web browser. When you click "close" or "finish" or whatever the last command is, your browser should either close or open a new window of java's page-on its own- that should say verify Java on your computer or something like that.  Run the test (it's short) and that will activate the latest form of java that you just downloaded.

I've made the mistake of bypassing their verification test and whatever application I updated java for still wouldn't  run.  I did what i just described and it worked fine afterwards, so I'm guessing this is the case with your situation.  I hope this helps.

Tutor
tom841
Message 5 of 7 (81 Views)

Okay, I'm into the puzzle I wanted.  I had to go to the Java Control Panel and give permission to the URL that provides the puzzle.

Thanks so much for your concern and help.

Tom

Tutor
Kilo_Papa
Message 6 of 7 (78 Views)

Glad it's resloved.  You can probably mess with your browser or firewall settings to allow it access each time (if you have to do it manually)

Tutor
tom841
Message 7 of 7 (71 Views)

Thanks again for all your help.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation