Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I'm not that techy so if additional information is needed, you'll probably have to tell me how to get it, lol.

Ok my laptop (HP HDX18 Notebook PC) often likes to turn off by itself, with no warning. I thought it was just with a specific program (World of Warcraft, yes I realize I'm a super-nerd, lol), but it seems to have spread to other games mainly things that are full-screen(ish), and take up a lot of process space. Which Norton likes to remind me every day..

I ran some hard-disc scans via the start up menu, and they came up clean.

I checked the Diagnostic's log and the number 0601 came up repeatedly. I googled it and I got something about a Diskette Format Failure?

Would that have something to do with it turning off? If so how would I go about fixing it?

~Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Download and run the stand-alone battery test utility from the link below.

http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/battery_ts.htm

Post back with the results.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Ahaha, I can't believe I forgot to mention this! I feel so silly, lol

My laptop battery actually died a quiet some time ago, it's plugged in all the time, so I took it out awhile back thinking that it could be contributing to the problem.. That and my laptop is very fond of overheating, so taking it out seemed to help it cool down faster.

I threw it back in and ran a scan, and well yes, it is very much dead..

(Failure ID: REOOW)

Could that be the source of the problem?

HP Recommended

Since it turns off mainly during gaming it sounds like a heat related issue.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yeah I thought the same but it's happened serveral times while the laptop isn't warm at all, or it doesn't happen when it is very warm (sometimes).

It would seem that it just turns off when it wants too, lol.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Does it literally just go straight off with any warning/freezing?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Some days it will turn off while it's hot, other days while it's cool, or sometimes when it's at a mid temperature.

So it's not picky when it wants to turn off, and it gives no warning at all.

It would seem that it comes in spurts though, it'll be fine for days, sometimes weeks. Then out of no where it will just shut off several times within an hour or so.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you can get the notebook to start, try wiggling the AC Adapter plug, the AC Adapter lead etc to see if this prompts a shut down.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yeah nothing, the plug that connects to the Laptop is a bit loose, but it didn't seem to trigger a shutdown 😕

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try running 3 - 4 passes with Memtest as this is a far more thorough test than the option provided in the bios.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.