Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sorry, which do I download?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following instead.

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Sorry for late reply, I've been preocupied with real life recentaly.

I did both tests, and they passed, I didn't see any error messages at all.

One of my friends suggested that it may be a video card issue, which could make sense. For the last month or so it's only been shutting off in certian areas in games. Ones with a lot going on, fire, different phases, etc.

Could that be a factor?

HP Recommended

Actaully never mind about the graphics card thing, it's shut down serval times in low graphics senarios. Like Dues Ex (the original), and a couple times in WoW when I was running with LOW graphincs, lol.

HP Recommended
Hey, my lappy has just started doing this, did you ever discover the problem and solution!! I hope you see this.... Fellow wower
HP Recommended

I'm sorry to hear that, isn't it annoying?!

I swear my laptop's almost gone out the window a couple of times  -_-'

I still have yet to discouver the root of the problem, my cousin suggested that it might have something to do with one of the fans shorting out.. I've been contimplating weither it's worth it to send it in, or just to put the money twords a desktop computer.

I have found that removing unused programs to free up space can sometimes help  though  🙂

Either that or just putting it in the corner for a time out..

Sorry I couldn't be of more help  😕

And yaay for WoW, (lol)

HP Recommended

well i think i may have solved it, testing it right now

my problem was similar to yours in that i had random shutdowns and would have to wait till the next day to get an sort of lengthy usetime on my lappy again, i had narrowed it down to either faulty power box, some sort of false overheating reading causing shutdown or a faulty graphics processor,

what i found was a lot of lint inside my fan, possibly causing the false overheat warning by being beside the temp sensor, i stripped my lappy down completely and saw no other defects,  

i am currently testing by playing loud skrillex youtube videos and am gonna try some starcraft2 shortly,

will post update tomorrow.

HP Recommended

hey hey 

sorry for delayed reply,

so after rigorous use and gaming for a record ten hours my laptop decided to die once again, i hadnt got as much time out of it on a long time and now think my problem was two things, overheating due to the masses of lint in my fan and a faulty power lead.

i live on an island so havent had the chance to get a replacement lead as of yet but will have one this weekend, again will post update after i test the new charger.

HP Recommended

what a frikkin pain,

so yes seems as tho it was a faulty power transformer, replaced it and presto it all works fine, hopefully it is the same problem in your case, 

I also recommend stripping your machine and cleanung all the dust and lint from inside, my lappy is running so cool atm compared to before, 

hope this has helped,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.