Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I've just purchased an HP laptop with Windows 7 already installed on it.  It didn't come with a Windows 7 disk - just installed on the computer.

I'm not an expert in the terminology of this this, so bear with me!!   In the past when I've gone to the computer tech.  sometimes they've cleaned out my computer hard drive and reinstalled the windows software from scratch.  I think it was to clean it up etc.

I've contacted HP and they've sent me some system recovery disks, but that's all.  No Windows 7 program disk.

I know I've got the license number under the laptop, but from what I've seen online there's no Windows software that you can just download and then use your own license number with it.

So how do I get the full program to use (from scratch rather than "recovery")? 

I hope you know what I mean.........

Thanks  :generic:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The recovery discs sent to you by HP contain the installation for your Windows 7 operating system and all the original software that came bundled with your notebook.  So, for example if you had to replace the Hard Drive at some point in the future, these discs will reinstall the operating system + all your software on the new drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

The recovery discs sent to you by HP contain the installation for your Windows 7 operating system and all the original software that came bundled with your notebook.  So, for example if you had to replace the Hard Drive at some point in the future, these discs will reinstall the operating system + all your software on the new drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
also FYI... you create your own recovery media which will put HP Factory Windows 7 back on the laptop... note the recovery media will not let you perform a clean install (i.e. without all the H
P bloatware)... to create the recovery media .. click on start then All Programs then Recovery Manager then choose Recovery Disc Creation you will need anywhere from 2 to 4 blank dvd's to create the media... follow the prompts.... note these discs you create are the same as what hp sent you....
HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.  At least I know it will work.

This is a random & stupid question so that I can make sure I understand it 100%.........

Just say I don't want to use the laptop anymore ....  I want to keep using my desktop, but I like the Windows 7 that's on the laptop more than the Windows XP on my desktop ........

I'm assuming then that I can use the Windows 7 disks for my desktop computer ........

Know what I'm saying?  I just want to make sure I've undestood it 10000%.........

thanks again to anybody that replies ......... :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately you can't do this.  Your version of Windows 7 is an OEM which under the terms of the licensing agreement, means it can only be installed ( or reinstalled ) on the computer it originally came with.  Your Recovery Discs will not work on another PC.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks David - that answers my question :TongueOut:

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

sorry to jump in on an old thread.  I have the same problem, pre-installed windows 7, no disks.  I've made a system repair disk and can boot from this but just get into the restore / recovery options. 

Is there any way to do a clean install?  I need some kind of windows 7 disk but where can I get one if not from HP?  Their software is really slowing things down.

Thanks,   Alice.

HP Recommended

plz plz plz can anyone help me? 😞

i am having envy-6 1011tx laptop with 500gb hhd and 32gb ssd...

i cant see any drives in win7 or win8 installation

i have my recovery disks but the system helds on the screen of insertion of disk 2.

plz give me some proper procedure with the recovery disks.

waiting anxiously 😞

HP Recommended

I have also a problem, with my laptop no Recovery disk is come now i have a problem of window key what i do ??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.