Laptop came without any Windows 7 disc, some questions (899 Views)
Honor Student
Shanek1
Message 1 of 3 (899 Views)

Laptop came without any Windows 7 disc, some questions

Hello!

I purchased a Pavillion dv6/3160so back in february here in Sweden and am satisfied with it.

What was a bit strange though is that the laptop came without any discs, with Windows 7(64bit) preinstalled on a partion of the laptops harddrive or something.

What I wonder is the following:

Can I request that HP send me Windows 7 installation discs to me?

If not, can I legally obtain a windows 7 installation disc for free as I have it installed on my laptop?

Should I obtain a windows 7 installation disc, would I be able to remove the HP partition on my laptop and make a completely clean install?

Will my warranty be affected by a fresh install should I do one?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (880 Views)

Re: Laptop came without any Windows 7 disc, some questions

Hi,

You should have software called Recovery Manager to allow you create your own set of Recovery Discs - see the link below for more details regarding this.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867124

If you do not have this software, or it doesn't work, you can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below - it may be best to actually call HP using numbers available on the second link and see if they will waive the fee if you cannot create your own recovery discs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

Start Here.

Your warranty will not be affected by a fresh installation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 3 (879 Views)

Re: Laptop came without any Windows 7 disc, some questions

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Q:  Can I request that HP send me Windows 7 installation discs to me?

A:   HP does not supply recovery disks for your notebook directly. You need to get them from the link below if you live in Sweden, and there is a charge.

https://www.best2serve.com/page/rcd_hardware_related_products/?product_type_id=4&hardware_product_id...

Q:  If not, can I legally obtain a windows 7 installation disc for free as I have it installed on my laptop?

A:  No, if you want a Windows 7 operating system installation disk, you will need to purchase one.

Q:  Should I obtain a windows 7 installation disc, would I be able to remove the HP partition on my laptop and make a completely clean install?  Will my warranty be affected by a fresh install should I do one?

A:  HP will not provide software support for an end user installed version of Windows. They would just inform you to do a system recovery using your recovery partition. It should not void the hardware warranty (for example--if your hard drive fails).

If you elect to get recovery disks or purchase a full installation version of Windows 7, deleting your recovery partition is up to you. But remember, you will not have any of the software that came with your notebook.

I recommend you copy your C:\SWSetup folder to a portable hard drive. That folder contains many of the program and driver installation files that can be used to reload programs and drivers onto your PC.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation