Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Yellowmwn14344,

I understand you get power on your computer, but you receive no image on the screen, is that correct? I will try all I can to help you with this issue.

In order for me to better assist you could you please provide the full make and model of the PC you have.  Providing me that information will better help me help you. If you're uncertain where to locate that information follow this link.

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

The sweater trick worked. I am amazed. THANK-YOU!!

HP Recommended

Ive had the same problem on my Compaq Presario CQ-62; computer wouldnt boot, just a black screen with caps flashing contantly, wifi light steady red.  After repeated tries using a hard restart (unplug cord and battery, hold power 30-60 secs, then try agin) it would boot up eventually, often after hours of trying.  I then heard about the sweater method and amazingly, it worked every time! However, the problem would arise again if I shut it down (it would run indefinitly as long as the computer stayed on and wasnt allowed to sleep).  I think Ive managed to fix this- its been a few months since ive performed these steps and its been running perfectly since then:

Im not sure which of these actions actually did the trick, ot whether or not they will work for anyone else but here it is:

1.  Disassemble the computer and remove the motherboard (this is easy, there are mumerous Youtube videos demontrating) flip it over, and remove the fan and heat sink.

2. Take the cover off the fan and clean it out- mine was pretty dirty.

3. Gently clean the CPU and the GPU where they contact the heat sink, dont touch directly with fingers.

4.  I read that the GPU (due to overheating) often needs to be heated to freflow the solder underneath to create better motherboard contact. I hit the GPU with a hairdryer on high for about 90 secs then let it cool back to room temp. Im not sure this accomplished anything, but I did it anyway. Either it worked, or this wasnt the problem to begin with.

5. Then apply a thin coat of Arctic Silver thermal compound (radio shack) to the top of the GPU and CPU as well as on the heat sink where it touches them.  I read that some prople also place a copper penny (pre-1983 in the US later ones are zinc) on top of the heat sink to create a tighter fit (or copper shims) but i didnt do this because I felt the thermal compound was enough. The goal is to conduct heat away from the CPU/GPU, and the stuff HP had on there had kind of crumbled.

6. Reinstall the heat sink, motherbord, and reassemble the computer.

Once I did this, the computer still didnt boot properly, so I got it going with the sweater wrap. Before this, the computer was running at 70 C roughly, and afterwards at 47C. To the exent that heat was the problem, it was a smart move, even if it didnt seem to work intially. Talk about FRUSTRATING. Step 7 seemed to do the trick:

7. Go to control panel, hit power options. Select 'change plan settings' next to balanced power.  Then click 'change advanced power settings'. Go under 'processor power managment' and change both values to 100%. I read this in another forum, cant remember where or Id give them credit.  Anyway it WORKED!

You may be successful by perorming ONLY step 7, but I think that the overheating played a role too somehow.  Im not an expert in computers, this was just a product of endless internet searching 🙂 In any case its been working beautifully ever since. Worth a try. The laptop runs 30 C cooler, and it starts every time.  Your problem may be different but I wanted to share what seems to have worked in my case.

HP Recommended
I left my hp notebook on till morning without charging . Am trying to boost start and it's not running or boost starting for me.
What should I do please
HP Recommended

actually i'm all the way to repair shop for my laptop but the technician is not around in morning so i spent 2 hours in internet shop to surf then i found this page by google search this is great i save money and specially i secure my laptops parts cause some repair shop will change your high specs to low 

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my laptop not booting and CAPs lock blinking I send it four times to staple for fixing the problem althought they just charged me the first time and other 3 times was rework and no charge but everytime after they told me your laptop is ok now and couldn't find any thing wrong , it just worked for 2 days and I had the same problem again. For whatever reason they don't tell you what is the real problem they just do some thing to make it work for couple of days and again you have the same problem. I am going to ask them to give my money back so I can get new laptop I don't want to deal with it any more. Enough is Enough!

HP Recommended

I really believe it, but IT WORKS!!! jajaja... its amazin man! THANKS!!!

NOTE: same simptoms (just caps lock blinking, one blink each 3 secs)... and I used a towel.

HP Recommended

OK, I was sceptical about your fix. But I figured why worry, it's bricked already. IT WORKED! I practically died laughing and had to share this with my friends and co-workers. Thanks a million rblencoe99! ...and yes, I cleaned out the fan with canned air.

HP Recommended
am having the same problem.... when i turn the power button on, power light(white), caps lock LED(white) and wifi LED(orange) blinks after every 5 seconds. In additions fan gives a noise like "Shooo" on every blink.... please tell me how can I overheat my laptop to resolve this issue... I have tried everything... Please help me ;(
HP Recommended
plz help me am having the same problem. In addition once i turn the power button it continue to blink until I take the battery out... I don't have enough money to repair it... plz help me
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.