Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I also just registered to SAY the towel wrap thing is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard but i would like to strongly confirm that this long after the thread began (drum rolls....) IT WORKS!!!! I have a HP g61 that had both caps and num locks blinking once every 5 seconds or so. I wrapped it in a towel and a tshirt for extra heat retention first 30 minutes didn't work then i remembered i still had it plugged in to the AC outlet so i unplugged it and left it for an extra 30 minutes and left it to cool, took out battery (was also completely drained). I put it back together and VOILA!!  it worked....

HP Recommended

I found a way round to solve the problem without the need to replace GPU/graphics. My laptop has 2 graphic cards: an integrated one and a dedicated one. Apparently the dedicated one had failed (Caps Lock blinking once) so I used the towel method to boot the laptop up, and then I disabled the dedicated graphic card in Device Manager. I haven't had any problems since then, I can even use the standby mode. 

Integrated card is sufficient for internet browsing and simple applications. If I want to play games or watch movies I can still enable the other card in the Device Manager, I just need to remember to disable it again before I shut the laptop down, otherwise the problem will appear again.

Obviously this method only work on laptops that have two graphic cards and it requires the most up-to-date drivers. It is a little bit a of a inconvenience, but it's nothing compared to the price of a new laptop.

HP Recommended

cant believe 22 would would call themselves hpsucks? they must

anyway, towel trick, proven, im ammazed, mines a fujitsu

but,im going to heat up the gpu part of the motherboard to try a more permanant fix

its called a reflow

the crappy old solder cracks, hence when you heat it up it works

(metal expands) theres the oven trick, the heat gun, the hairdryer

now the towel, amazing

**bleep** is sodder anyway? all the yank on discovery channel say soder? i take it they mean solder

HP Recommended
@rblencoe99 did you wait til your laptop has cooled down or did you switch it right on?
HP Recommended

my hpavillion dv4 has no picture but lights up

HP Recommended
Can I try this method more than once ??
HP Recommended
Up g56 when I press start button caps lock blinking no screen internet button flashing orange any ideas
HP Recommended

Hello,

I was having the same problem. My hp pavilion dv6 suddenly stop working. The sign were similar like black screen and caps/num lock light blinking. So I start googling what's wrong with my machine after attempting different kind of solutions, I found one works for me.

This method is called reflowing, In this remedy you have to heat up your mother board in a certain way. You will find reflow videos on youtube easily.

This method works for me.

HP Recommended

How I solved this problem......

My laptop was not booting and the CAPS lock was blinking with blink code 1 (CPU not functional)

I disassembled the laptop and took out the motherboard. I removed the heat sink to expose the processor/graphics card.

I found that the thermal paste had, over time, dispersed itself from the centre of the processsor and worked its way to the outside. There was no thermal paste in the centre. Futhermore, the conductive thermal paste had covered the chips of the processor and I concluded that this is the problem, as the thermal paste would be shorting out the chips. 

I got a brand new toothbrush and scrubbed lightly at the thermal paste until the chips were completely clean and free of the thermal paste. I then re-applied new thermal paste and re-assembled my laptop.

It started up 1st time and also doubled the speed of the laptop. Also, the fan is running completely silently (after cleaning chassis and fan area.

I hope this helps someone who is just about to give up on their trusty laptop, as I was!

Best of luck.

Tony.

PS - Donations accepted to tony1thai@gmail.com (it's worth a try) 

😄 

HP Recommended
I've dabbled as a computer tech, but this one stumped me. I installed a new CPU but to no avail. I used this ingenious sweater technique and it worked. Must be a poor man's reflow technique, but it worked! Props. Just in case I'm updating and flashing bios.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.