Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Aaaaand, I replaced the CPU and the paste - no fix. So, that one blink thing continues... may be any number of things... Some post suggested reballing graphic card... Whatever... Computer is cooking wrapped up, and if it boots up again, I'll flash the bios and see if anything changes. It probably wont, but hey - one more thing to do. I feel my hp will be going off to greener pastures pretty soon... 

Will update after bios flashing...

Cheers!

HP Recommended
Aaand, won't boot after an hour of cooking...
HP Recommended

Reballing or ( less expensive) reflowing the GPU fix the problem. I repair 6 ones without problem. Reflashing bios no fix the problem. Good luck

HP Recommended

Hi Nelson2001,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mind sharing your technique? How long did you heat it for, to what temp (I assume you used a heat gun), and did you heat the top or the bottom of the GPU? (I plan to use digital meat thermometer to get to the right temperature.) Did you place any kind of cover over the other areas of the motherboard? I saw some videos with people putting a sheet of aluminum foil, I assume - to deflect the heat.

BTW, I did get the machine to boot up again with the new processor (so I now have a spare processor). No love lost, via ebay processor and 5 small 1oz tubes of paste ran me some $17.59. Note, after the new paste, processor is running a few degrees cooler, from about 52C to 49C, on top of a fanned cooling pad.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

HP Recommended

YOU welcome. Remove the coolear & heatsink. This exposes the GPU & Micro. Remove memory, hard disk, battery,cpu that is the mobo must be "naked". Then get  aluminum foil, and envelope all the mobo but GPU. Turn the Solder station flow and begin warming up the TOP of the GPU. There is videos on youtub, cant show the mines for the moment. Remember you are not replacing the GPU with a new brand one, we are doing inexpensive reballing.... So Try to get it fixed making true reballing with a new GPU. Why?, thats is simple. The entire mobo has been exposed to the tower & blanket issue that works but the mobo & components gets  tired. Sometimes making reballing with the old GPU dont work because of this. Never pass the 250 degrees.  Good luck.

I left the guide to dissassemble

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01740724.pdf http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01740724.pdf

HP Recommended
Thanks! Disassembled for monitor cable and had 3 blinks after reassembling. Removed single ram and reinstalled with same error. Next replaced ram and whola it worked. Will revisit possible ram defect after I catch my breath.
HP Recommended
You right, there is a ram problem. 3 blinks meas memoryu error!. good Luck 
Number of Blinks or Beeps
Location of Blinking LEDs
Component Being Checked
Error Condition
Continuous glow
Battery power LED
Battery
The AC adapter is attached and the battery is charging, but does not yet have sufficient charge to power the notebook.
Caps Lock/Num Lock
CPU
CPU not functional
Caps Lock/Num Lock
BIOS
BIOS corruption failure
Caps Lock/Num Lock
Memory
Module error not functional
Caps Lock/Num Lock
Graphics
Graphics controller not functional
Caps Lock/Num Lock
System board
General system board failure
Caps Lock/Num Lock
BIOS
BIOS authentication failure
Continuous blink
AC power adapter LED
Power adapter
Insufficient power
Common solutions for issues that cause blinking LEDs or beep tones
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my hp ENVY laptop. The screen is black and the caps lock is blinking one time per 15 sec with the orange wifi signal. So I searched online and found this post.

This laptop has tones of problem. It has been sent back to fix the screen problem and the keyboard is uneven. So I am thinking about giving it up. It hasn't been a year since I bought it. This is a huge disappointment for me to find out that the laptop build in 2013 have the same problem as laptop from two years ago = =

I have to say the blanket trick is really helpful!

I wrapped my laptop in a blanket and let it run for a hour and it come back to live.

Sadly, after I shut down the laptop. Next day, same thing happen again!

I assume it is the motherboard overheating problem causing my GPU connection problem. I know my laptop overheats a lot when I play games that sometimes it just shut down. 

I would say the blanket trick is helpful but it is not a long term solution. 

HP Recommended
The Cap light blinked 3 times. On my computer Hp g6 pavilion the ram wasn't installed correctly, top obe was nit clamped properly. Did you check all your ribbons. Finding this info about blinking cap light was a God send.
HP Recommended

Hi summerband,

I saw your post regarding the blinking lights and I will be happy to help. Is the Num Lock blinking as well? Just it just keep blinking or does it stop after a certain number of blinks? Can I get your product number?

Find your product number on a notebook:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

I have also included a document with some tips to prevent overheating. As you mentioned you were experiencing some overheating issues.

Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.