Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just had to log in and say the sweater thing works!!!! Thanks for sharing! !

HP Recommended

My girlfriend has a G42-415DX which just started to exhibit the blinking caps lock problem. 

Letting it heat up in a blanket gets it to turn back on, BUT, it still won't turn back on the next time after being off for a while.  We've updated the BIOS and changed the power mode settings as someone suggested here, to no effect. 

We also blew the dust out of the CPU fan.  Although this has reduced the fan speed dramatically, as there was quite a bit of dust in there, I don't think that the failure to start is an overheating problem because it starts fine when it's warm, but not when it's cold!

Does anyone know WHY the overheating trick makes it start up again?  I'd like to find a permanent solution, since it needs to be overheated again every time she shuts it down for any length of time.  Someone here suggested that reflowing the solder on the GPU chip might be a fix, but I can't quite imagine that this is what's happening, because I can't believe that it would get that hot -- or wouldn't cause damage to the CPU if it did.  (On that note, does anyone know how long it can be left on with the ventilation blocked without causing damage?  The max she's left it so far is about 40 minutes.   She hasn't tried shutting it down since then, but the previous time she's tried 30 minutes without the cure being permanent.)

HP Recommended
ty for the help logics71 🙂
HP Recommended

I can't just believe this solution was that simple. Rblencoe99, you are the greatest! If you ever come to my to town I'll get you a large glass of beer. I tried your method and my laptop is running without any problems now!

HP Recommended
Thanks you so mutch. I just try the sweater thing and it is working! Thanks for sharing! !
JP

HP Recommended
Hello I wrote this week to report the success of the sweater method . Well last night a friend mentioned to me that her computer HP DV4 not worked for a year and has it has a black screen and the capslock flashes with a frequency of once. Well I also put in a beach blanket for an hour and it worked! So i have saved two computers this week!!! For your information, both times I had removed the hard drive to prevent it from overheating.
HP Recommended

Hello, I used your trick of overheating my computer until it shut down and then when I rebooted it, the screen worked.  I went and ran an errand and when I came back home I had the same issue of a black screen.  Not sure what to do cause your trick worked, but then failed 😞  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem as the guy a few posts up.  The overheat trick worked great but I have to keep doing it.  Not everytime we turn it off but we have had to do it a few times this week.  Why hasn't anyone from hp replied with a solution to this problem?

HP Recommended
Strange but true.............wrapping it in towels and left for an hour really did do the trick.
My laptop was excessively hot but happily rebooted after this weird treatment!
Many thanks for the most unexpected solution.
HP Recommended

I also confirm that the sweater trick works... 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.