Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 13 x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I noticed my laptop was not charging when plugged in. It says 'plugged in, not charging'.The battery eventually died and I left it alone for a few hours dead. I plugged it in after that and it started charging again after that, so I charged it up all the way and I thought all was good, until I unplugged it and the battery began to discharge. After that it went back to the 'plugged in, not charging' status. 

I did a battery diagnostic which said the battery is good, so it isn't the battery (plus this laptop is only 10 months old). I tried installing any updates/drivers HP said I needed. One of those was some BIOS updated which I did and after viola, it began charging again. While it was charging I unplugged and plugged the charger and it was good, so I charged it up until fully charged. I unplugged it at 100% and let it go down to 96% and tried to recharge it and again got the 'plugged in, not charging' status. 

Any clue as to what is  causing this? It seems like its some kind of software issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like your Notebook is not charging the Battery, We will surely assist you with this issue

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook 

Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board

How to improve the life of a Battery:

1. It is not advisable to use the Notebook when the Power Adapter is connected

2. It is not advisable to keep the Power Adapter plugged in even after the Battery is fully charged

3. You need to let the battery drain completely before charging again

4. Power Plan should be set correctly for extended battery life

5. Please keep the Screen Brightness at lower level

6. Please turn OFF Wi-Fi Connection when not in use

7. Please remove the CD/DVD's from the Optical Drive when not in use

Testing and Calibrating the Battery ( Windows )

Battery and Adapter Issues 

HP Computer & Laptop Diagnostic Tools 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

Moderation Note:

Here is a link that might help you out - Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like your Notebook is not charging the Battery, We will surely assist you with this issue

Please perform below shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button

Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager

Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left

Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall

Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again

Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook

Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter

Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute

Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter

Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:

1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]

Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace

2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site

3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook 

Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board

How to improve the life of a Battery:

1. It is not advisable to use the Notebook when the Power Adapter is connected

2. It is not advisable to keep the Power Adapter plugged in even after the Battery is fully charged

3. You need to let the battery drain completely before charging again

4. Power Plan should be set correctly for extended battery life

5. Please keep the Screen Brightness at lower level

6. Please turn OFF Wi-Fi Connection when not in use

7. Please remove the CD/DVD's from the Optical Drive when not in use

Testing and Calibrating the Battery ( Windows )

Battery and Adapter Issues 

HP Computer & Laptop Diagnostic Tools 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

Moderation Note:

Here is a link that might help you out - Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Um, with step 6, how do I remove the battery? There is no place on the bottom for the battery?

HP Recommended

You proceed with the battery in

Its not mandatory that the battery has to be taken out

Perform that step keeping the battery in and let me know how it goes

Regards,

KNRK

I work for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi, there is this myth that a new lio-on battery has to charged for minimum duration of six hours prior to use. And according to my knowledge it was old nickel based batteries that needed this but not the cell based ones. So could you verify pleaz.
HP Recommended

This method was the only one to fix this problem for me on my HP x360 after the most recent windows 10 update stopped it recharging for some reason?

I was just about to reset it ALL before this method saved my sanity.

Thank goodness someone at HP knows what to do!!

HP Recommended
Hi. What about if after battery test the result is unknown?
HP Recommended

Hi Rainedavidjr,

First of all, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter unplugged, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and theMicrosoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the PC down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the PC on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shutdown the PC again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook.

Next, download, install and run the latest version of the HP Battery Check Utility, on the link below.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49001-49500/sp49129.exe

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.
HP Recommended
Hi, my battery is at 0%.
HP Recommended
I cant restart my laptop by the batteru alone
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.