Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to set up my laptop so that I can wake it from sleep mode with a bluetooth mosue/keyboard with the lid closed and plugged into an external monitor.

I mention the lid being closed because it seems if I leave the lid open I have no problems.

Primarily I think (feel) that the problem is only happening in hybernation.  But, I've tried disabling with no clear results.

Here are my setting:

Envy 14 touchsmart

High Performance power settings

Sleep after 60 minutes (plugged in and unplugged)

Hybird Sleep enabled (plugged in and unplugged)

Close lid set to do nothing

Bluetooth mouse and keyboard set to wake computer in device settings.

I prefer my laptop to sleep but don't have to have it hybernate.  But, I have had to reboot my computer a couple of times, so I've lost my work when I was hybernation disabled.

I keep my laptop under a stand for my monitor (limited desk space).  So inorder to turn the computer off and on I have to disconnect the cables and pull the laptop out.

If HP is listening.  It would be nice to have a remote power switch or have the power switch on the outside.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey @Bourbonbill ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're trying to use your notebook while the lid is closed via an external display, and are unable to wake it with your Bluetooth mouse or keyboard.

Theoretically this should work but I cannot promise you it will, as it goes against the intended purpose of a notebook.

I was able to recreate your setup here, with the exception of a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard. Instead I was able to access a wireless mouse and keyboard, which relies on the same internal adapter and should provide the same results when testing. Heres the settings I had to change to make it work:

1. Make sure the external monitor is set as the primary display, and is set to mirror the displays, not extend them.

2. Make sure the PC is set to "Do nothing" when the lid is closed for both Battery and Plugged in. This will make sure Windows is telling the PC to sleep and not the lid. - I see you've already done this, but I'm reiterating it for other forum users that might be wondering about a similar setup.

3. Make sure the Power Management settings for the Bluetooth adapter, mouse and keyboard are set correctly

• In Device Manager right click the device and select Properties. In the Properties Window check the Power Management tab. This tab should have an option to allow Windows to turn off the device to save power. Make sure this is not checked. Make sure the check box to allow the device to wake the computer is checked. Make sure you perform these steps for the keyboard, mouse, and Bluetooth adapter. Note that the option to wake the PC for the Bluetooth adapter may be grayed out.

4. Check the BIOS for any settings that would control waking with external devices. I didn't need to do this but I'm adding it just to be safe. Some BIOS versions will have a setting that disables the ability to wake the notebook with external devices. As yours is working while the lid is open it's unlikely a change needs to be made here, but it never hurts to look. Access the BIOS with F10 while starting up.

5. Check the power plan sleep settings. Disable Hibernation and enable Hybrid sleep. 

• Press Windows Key + R, type powercfg.cpl, click OK, click Change plan settings beside the selected plan, click chance advanced power settings, make sure the active profile is selected in the dropdown menu, expand the Sleep section, expand the Hibernate after option, set both battery and plugged in options to Never. Expand the Allow hybrid sleep option and set both battery and plugged in to On.

Let me know if this helps! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Gave it a try, but it only works sometimes, other times it doesn't and sometimes locks up.

For now just living with it until or if a soltuion materializes.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.