Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm looking for the Windows 8 license or serial number that came pre-installed on my brand new HP Notebook before setting up the OS at all.

A Windows 8 installer disc did not come with this new HP Notebook that I purchased at a brick and mortar store, and I guess that's the way they come now, with no OS installer discs included, which seems crazy... what if someone needs to do a full OS re-install?

But for this purpose, I want to ask Microsoft if they will allow me to downgrade to Windows 7 for this brand new HP Notebook that came with Windows 8 pre-installed, and I will relinquish my unused Windows 8 license number back to them, and have them send me a Windows 7 installer disc.

If I set up the Windows 8 OS on this new HP Notebook with my name, etc., then I believe that will claim this specific copy of Windows 8, and then I will not be able to trade it for a Windows 7 installer disc in its place.

Will I be able to get the Windows 8 license number or serial number from HP for this specific HP Notebook?

If so, how?

I'm now waiting for the HP Chat Support, and it has said "Estimate: 1 minute or less" waiting time for the last 15 minutes, and I've been waiting over a half hour total now.

I waited on hold over one hour on the HP tech support phone line today and I finally gave up when my ear was tired from holding the phone against my head, and I couldn't stand to listen to the HP promo recording any more than about 1500 times.

PS:  Did you know that the URL-  www.hp.com/go/support  -that is repeatedly given on that HP on-hold promo recording that plays over and over while you wait endlessly to try unsuccessfully to talk to anyone on the HP tech support phone line is a dead URL?

Thanks.

numetro

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi, 

If Windows 8 came preinstalled on your computer, your product key should be on a sticker on your computer or with your documentation. It should look a lot like the image you see here.

windows-8-coa.png

If you can't find documentation of your Windows 8 product key, you may be able to extract it from the Windows registry using a program called aproduct key finder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP employee.
Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.
These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.
HP Recommended

Hi Ladislav,

I don't have a sticker on the computer or anywhere on the paperwork that looks even close to that, and nothing with the Microsoft name on it.  But I do have this one, below, which is a sticker that's on the back of a clear plastic envelope that has an HP Tech Support flyer with support information in different languages in it...

scanHP.jpg

I've changed around some numbers on this scan so this cannot be used by anyone... I'm a Photoshoper by trade.

I finally got on the live HP chat, and a guy named Alger went round and round with me telling me there is no way to get this Windows 8 license number... talked about making a rescue disk from the partition, but that would make this Windows 8 mine forever.  He said they aren't trained to do this, and it would void my software warranty, but that doesn't matter because I don't want to use this Windows 8, I want to trade Microsoft for a Windows 7 installation disc.

Microsoft has done that kind of thing with me before with a different computer, where they sent me a Windows 7 installer disc to swap for a dead, completely corrupt Windows Vista OS on a Dell computer that they were trying to troubleshoot with me for over 50 hours on the phone over the course of two weeks.

I know I can just find the Windows 8 system info by hitting fn + esc once I'm booted in to Windows 8, but setting up Windows 8, and entering in all my info, I believe, would make this Windows 8 mine forever.

I don't understand why I don't have a Windows 8 sticker anywhere on the computer or in the stuff with it, and I also don't understand why you, an HP employee, are telling me I should have that sticker (which I agree with)  and the HP live chat guy, Alger, tells me there is no way to find the Windows 8 license number.

Also, wouldn't I need to be booted in to the Windows 8 OS in order to use "Product Key Finder"... but if I could just go ahead and set up the OS and enter all my info in to it, then I could just find the Windows 8 license number displayed in the system info, right?... but then by doing that I will have made this installation of Windows 8 mine forever... it's all a catch 22, it seems.

Why is everyone at HP contradicting each other on this, and why couldn't I get through on the phone tech support line after waiting over an hour?  Why wouldn't I have this Windows sticker that you show the example of anywhere?  This is a brand spankin' new computer I just bought yesterday at Walmart... a red 15-r030wm Notebook, seen below...

Thanks,

numetro

HP Recommended
Most if not all the people hear on the forum do not work for HP any advise you get here are from regular people that just like helping out or have some kind of experience with computers.

Most windows 8 device and above especially notebooks that have been preinstalled do not physically display the serial keys any more, my guess is there trying to cut down on fruad, piracy and or stolen device keys.

I believe the only way for the accomplish what you are doing is to contact MS directly. Or if someone from HP does happen to see your post connect you too a sales department.

Another option buy windows 7 and install.
HP Compaq 6730B Business Notebook
Intel Duo Core P8600
Hyundai SSD
Crusial DDR2 4GB Value Select Ram
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Win 10 64 bit

Pavilion 17-e188sd Notebook PC
AMD E1-2500 Radeon 8200
Samsung SSD EVO 840
Corsair DDR3 8192 MB RAM
QC 802.11bgn/BT/Win 8.1 64 bit

HP Recommended

Hi OsbourneVernonL,

Thanks for your reply.

At the bottom of the reply from LadislovM, it says, "I am an HP employee", and that's why I asked him/her, as a HP employee, why they are contradicting eachother, since the live Chat guy, Alger on the HP site, said something totally different than LadislovM did.

You wrote:

"Or if someone from HP does happen to see your post connect you too a sales department."

So, instead of waiting until some HP person "happens" to see my post on this forum to connect me to the sales department, how would I do that directly?  Is it possible to find someone who actually works in that department on this forum?... if so, how?

There seems to be no link to anything sales department related on the HP website, but if I'm wrong, please direct me to it.

It's despicable, after waiting an hour on the line for HP phone tech support, that no one ever answered, and I suspect that I could wait until my bowels explode for them to answer, and after two days or more of waiting, I'd probably still be listening to their insipid promo recording over and over.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

numetro

HP Recommended

This is NOT official HP Customer Support and I, as most other persons on this forum, do not work for HP. This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP consumer class products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum and it is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's.

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number (p/n) of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of your computer, inside the battery compartment or on the startup BIOS screen. Please see How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for more assistance locating this information. DO NOT include your serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and post it here for our review.

hp label.png

1) Most consumer computers haven't come with Restore/Recovery discs or Windows installation discs since around 2003. You must create your personal HP Recovery Media so that you can return your computer to a factory like condition... including the reinstallation of Windows.

2) All OEM computer manufacturers are required by Microsoft to encrypt the Windows 8/8.1 product key and embedded it in the BIOS/CMOS. With the requirement to put the Windows product key in the BIOS/CMOS, Microsoft no longer provides a Microsoft COA that contains the product key. Please see Microsoft Community - No COA for OEM version of Windows 8 !!!

3) Unless the computer come with Windows 8/8.1 Pro, it doesn't have Microsoft Downgrade Rights.

4) If it does have Microsoft Downgrade Rights (which is unlikely), you may still be required to supply your own Windows 7 Pro installation media and key.

Please contact official HP Customer Support in your region / country, via the HP Worldwide Support Portal, for further assistance with your concern.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Hi lasvegaswireman,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I already have all the info for this laptop, copied from the stickers on the box and confirmed by surveying the bottom of the laptop with a magnifying glass... I didn that two days ago.

Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by...

"Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and post it here for our review."

And actually, when I enter my model number on the page that you linked to, it wants me to put in a question in the question field... so I don't know what you want me to use that page for.

If you just want to know the product and model numbers, then here they are... will this help you to direct me to my Windows 8 license number?...

PRODUCT NUMBER:   J2X46UA#ABA

MODEL NUMBER:   15-r030wm   rev. 2213-100

I was told that many HP computers have proprietary model numbers based on which store is selling them, so the same computer at Best Buy might have a different model number at Walmart or Costco.

I also have a long PCID number if needed, and of course, the serial number, but I'd need to hand that over to an actual HP person online who actually has access to my Windows 8.1 license number for me.

If I just boot in to the alternate partion, so I don't use the Windows 8.1 OS that is pre-installed and make it mine forever, like if I entered my info setting up Windows 8, which I don't want to do, will I be able to access the BIOS info that shows the Windows 8.1 license number while booted in the alternate partition?

If this is what I need to do to find my Windows 8 license number, please confirm that for me... and if so, perhaps explain to me why you wanted me to post the model and product numbers above as well.

Even if I don't have Windows 8.1 Pro (I don't) perhaps I will be able to talk Microsoft in to swapping me for a regular Windows 7 home addition, or the like.

Thanks,

numetro

HP Recommended

Here are the full factory specs for your HP 15-r030wm Notebook Computer. According to the specs, this model shipped with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) (non-pro OEM).

Again, all OEM computer manufacturers are required by Microsoft to encrypt the Windows 8/8.1 product key and embedded it in the BIOS/CMOS. With the requirement to put the Windows product key in the BIOS/CMOS, Microsoft no longer provides a Microsoft COA that contains the product key. Please see Microsoft Community - No COA for OEM version of Windows 8 !!!

Again, unless the computer came with Windows 8.1 Pro, it doesn't have Microsoft Downgrade Rights and Microsoft isn't going to trade you Windows 7... PERIOD.

You can't read the Windows 8.1 product key, as it is encrypted and embedded in the BIOS/CMOS of your computer. Window 8.1 OEM that came with your computer can read the information and use it to activate the Windows license. That is it... end of story... nothing else... nothing and no one will be able to extract the key for you and Microsoft isn't going to provide you with a free copy of Windows 7.

Just purchase a new copy of Windows 7 with a valid Microsoft COA and product key, and you could be on your way to using Windows 7 on your computer. If you need assistance installing Windows 7 and locating drivers, we can help with that.

Please contact official HP Customer Support in your region / country, via the HP Worldwide Support Portal, for further assistance with your concern.

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Hi lasvegaswireman,

Thanks again for your reply.

So, according to this, neither HP nor Microsoft allow a Windows license number to be seen or accessed any longer in any way, even by the person who bought the computer... crazy.

Actually, if you or I had been told that Microsoft would provide a complimentary copy of Windows 7 Ultimate to replace a suicidal, corrupt, failing, 3 year old piece of crap Windows Vista operating system that had already been used for 3 years, after 50 hours of unsuccessfully troubleshooting it over the course of two weeks on the phone with Microsoft guys in India, both of us probably would have said that Microsoft would never do that, but they did, so I'll take your "PERIOD" remark about the possibility of getting a copy of Windows 7 to replace this completely unused pre-install of Windows 8 with a grain of salt.

As for drivers for Windows 7, I've already set up a version of Windows 7 Ultimate on another computer as of about 4 years ago, per my description of how I acquired it above, and my memory and my habits of saving and burning everything to disc are pretty great.  And since Windows 7 automatically searches, finds and installs any needed drivers, I'm set for that too, but if I do need any help, it's good to know that y'all are willing to help me in the future, so thank you.

It sure seems that, in an effort to stop operating system piracy, that both HP and Microsoft have not only screwed the pooch for their customers, but they as_-raped the pooch.

Both my uncle and my cousin have worked for HP as product designers and testing techs, and my cousin still works for what used to be the part of HP that designs and tests their original testing machines, which were HP's original products, which has now broken off from HP and is a separate company in Palo Alto.

I wonder if Carly Fiorina is one of the people who is personally responsible for this kind of mind numbing problem that has been created for HP customers, or if sleeping her way to the top was actually the explanation for her temporary success in business at HP, but total failure in politics... anyway, that's according to my cousin, who still works for that part of HP that broke off and went independent... no wonder!

Thanks again,

numetro

HP Recommended

HP has nothing to do with encrypting and embedding the product key. Microsoft is the driving force behind that idea. So, if HP wants to sell computers with Microsoft Windows on them, HP has to agree to the licensing requirements. Meg Whitman has been CEO of HP since 2011. Carly Fiorina was CEO from 1999 to 2005 and had nothing to do with Microsoft changing the game.

YOU wrote "And since Windows 7 automatically searches, finds and installs any needed drivers, I'm set for that too, but if I do need any help, it's good to know that y'all are willing to help me in the future, so thank you."...

Windows 7 only finds some of the drivers and only on older "legacy" computer systems. Today's computers are unlike any made 4 years ago. MBR has been replaced by GPT. MBR was limited to 4 primary partitions, while GPT can have an almost unlimited number of primary partitions. BIOS has been supplemented with UEFI. BIOS only supports booting from MBR partitioned hard drives under 2.2TB, while UEFI  supports booting from GPT partitioned hard drives greater than 2.2TB. Secure Boot has been introduced to reduce boot time virus infections.

****Disclaimer*****

HP doesn't recommend the installation of Windows 7 on a computer shipped with Windows 8, nor will it support the installation of Windows 7. HP will not provide Windows 7 drivers and suitable drivers may not be available for the hardware in the computer. Also, Windows 7 may not support some of the hardware or software features designed for the computer.

Make sure you create your HP Recovery Discs or USB Flash Recovery media before modifying or changing ANYTHING.

The screen shots below are from an HP 15t-j100 notebook computer... the options and configuration screens on your computer may differ.

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot configuration" on the settings page similar to what is shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

Sec Boot Legacy Sup.jpg

After saving the changes, the computer will request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

Confirm Change.jpg

If are you are installing from a USB stick and see a "Load Driver - a required CD/DVD drive device is missing" message, this is because "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot" is set to "Enabled". This must be set to "Auto".

USB3 setting.jpg

Additionally, as the hard drive is most likely partitioned as GPT, you must boot using the UEFI-Internal CD/DVD or UEFI-USB Key/Drive to install Windows on a GPT partitioned disk. Turn on or reboot the computer and tap "F9" or "ESC" and then "F9" when prompted. Highlight the UEFI boot source you are using and press "ENTER".

F9 Boot Menu.jpg

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best intallation experience. If you need Windows SP1, please see "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" to download and create your own Windows 7 SP1 disc. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. Please note that some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS and may require a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive. You should be able to make a FAT32 formatted Windows 7 installation USB Flash drive using RufusUNetbootin, Universal USB Installer, or WiNToBootic. I like Rufus, as it has options for "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" and "FAT32".

From the top...

1)  Turn on the computer and immediately start tapping the "ESC" key.

2)  When the MENU comes up, press the "F10" key.

3)  Navigate the BIOS to "System Configuration", "USB 3.0 Config in Pre-OS" and set to "Auto".

4)  Navigate the BIOS to  "System Configuration", "Boot Options" and set "Secure Boot" to "Disabled" and set "Legacy Support" to "Enabled".

5)  Press "F10" and click "YES" to "Exit Saving Changes"

6)  Computer should restart and display "Operating System Boot Mode Change"... type the four digit code and press "ENTER".

7)  Let Windows 8 boot-up and place the Windows 7 SP1media in the DVD drive or USB port, then log-off / shutdown.

😎  Turn on the computer and immediately start tapping the "ESC" key.

9)  When the MENU comes up, press the "F9" key and then select the correct UEFI boot source (Internal CD/DVD drive, USB CD/DVD drive, USB Flash drive, etc.)... Press any key to boot CD/DVD, if prompted.

10)  Select "Language", "Time / Currency", and "Keyboard" settings and then click "Next"

11)  Click "Install Now"... check "Accept Terms" and click "Next". Click "Custom (Advanced)". 

12)  You may need to supply Intel SATA/RAID drivers at this time...  Download f6flpy-x64.zip, extract and place on USB Flash Drive if needed.

13)  Follow all prompts and answer as needed. Enter Windows 7 key when requested.

14)  Please install Windows 64-bit drivers from the HP 15-r030wm Notebook PC Drivers page. Post the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" (just the text) for all remaining missing or unknown devices, as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

Frank

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.