Question

Top Student
DerekWelborn
Message 1 of 8 (490 Views)

Low Disk Space on the recovery partition of my HD

I have a DV5-1002NR. I have never created a restore point to date nor paid any attention to that part of my hard drive. It's now giving me the LDS message and upon inspection, that partition is nearly full.

What am I supposed to do?  Help!!

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 8 (488 Views)

Re: Low Disk Space on the recovery partition of my HD

The recovery partition is suppose to be used to store the files necessary to restore you machine back to factory fresh condition.  It is not intended to be used as a backup.  Problems can arise when you install programs like Norton or other programs that want to do backups.  Those programs really want to save you data to an external hard drive but will look for any other drive than the C drive.  Check to see if one of your programs is trying to save stuff to your recovery partition.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
DerekWelborn
Message 3 of 8 (478 Views)

Hello. I have not used that partition to save any information. When I open that partition I see three icons/files, see below. I tried to use the HP backup tool but was told that there is not enough room on that D drive to do so. My machine is working okay. Can those files be wiped out (clearing that space) then create a restore point?Capture.JPG

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 4 of 8 (463 Views)

No, those files are if you ever need to recover your hard drive back to factory fresh condition.  Buy an external hard drive and back up to that.  You do not have nor will you every have enough room on that partition to do backups.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Top Student
DerekWelborn
Message 5 of 8 (455 Views)

Okay, I'll get an external HD and create a backup.Once that is done, what do I do with the partition (HP Recovery D:smileyhappy: that keeps giving me constant messages out low disk space. Should the file there be deleted once a backup is made?

Please explain so I understand fully.

Thanks!!

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 6 of 8 (443 Views)

Is the low disk space message coming from Norton or Microsoft windows or another program?

Top Student
DerekWelborn
Message 7 of 8 (432 Views)

The message comes from Windows.

Top Student
DerekWelborn
Message 8 of 8 (404 Views)

The message comes from Windows. Is there something I should do so the error message will cease?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation