Question

Tutor
msqa
Message 1 of 16 (92,232 Views)
Accepted Solution

Managing Startup Programs to Improve Performance

I have a new HP HDX16t notebook (p/n NK133AV) and would like to eliminate unncecssary startup programs using MSCONFIG, but need a credible reference to let me know which ones I can kill.  Just to let you know, I am aware of the HP article "Increasing System Performance Without Adding Memory in Windows Vista", but it says "if unsure about a task, write the name down and research it latter on the Internet".  Well thats not too helpful, because its a big network out there with lots of junk and lots of ulterior motives.  I am also familiar with the HP article about using MSCONFIG in Windows Vista, and it is helpful in suggesting some items NOT to remove, but it doesn't deal with a bunch of others that came loaded on the notebook.  Can an expert tell me or point me to a credible list of theses applications that will let me decide which I can remove?  Thank you very much.
Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 16 (92,242 Views)

Re: Managing Startup Programs to Improve Performance

I think two documents available on HP might help you. Here is the information about tha articles:

Preventing Software from Loading at Windows Vista Startup - Desktop PCs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00813419&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Preventing Programs from Starting When Windows Starts - Notebook PCs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00829746&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

For more specific list, please provide the list so that I can explain the needs and don't in detail.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Tutor
msqa
Message 3 of 16 (92,216 Views)

Thanks for the reply Vidya.  Here are a few specifics I question:

• HP MediaSmart TV (I don't have a tuner)
  • HP Wireless Assistant
  • Java Platform SE 6 U15
  • StartMen Application
  • MUI StartMen Application (appears twice in MSCONFIG)
  • MUI StartMenu Application (appears twice in MSCONFIG)
  • Adobe Acrobat (is this just for updates?)
  • HP Quick Launch Buttons
  • CyperLink MediaLibrary Service
  • CyperLink PowerCinema
  • HP DVDSmart
  • WMPNSCFG
  • Windows Defender

Thanks again...I'll take any advice you are willing to give about any of these.
Dean
Vidya
Message 4 of 16 (92,229 Views)

HP MediaSmart TV (I don't have a tuner) - Remove this from Startup
HP Wireless Assistant - You can only remove this if you are not using Wireless
Java Platform SE 6 U15 - - Remove this from Startup
StartMen Application - This is a part of Cyberlink software. Remove this from Startup
MUI StartMen Application (appears twice in MSCONFIG) - This is a part of Cyberlink software. Remove this from Startup
MUI StartMenu Application (appears twice in MSCONFIG) - This is a part of Cyberlink software. Remove this from Startup
Adobe Acrobat (is this just for updates?) - Remove this from Startup
HP Quick Launch Buttons - If you want to use the line of keys available above the function keys, you need this, otherwise you can remove it from startup
CyperLink MediaLibrary Service - Remove this from Startup
CyperLink PowerCinema - Remove this from Startup
HP DVDSmart - You can remove this if you do not want to start this application on insertion of a DVD.

WMPNSCFG - wmpnscfg.exe is used to alert users when a new media device is found on the network. This is a kind of Autorun feature to check if the inserted device has songs or movie and then launch Windows Media Player accordingly. I would not recommend this for startup. However, I would leave it upto you.

Windows Defender - If your system is protected with any other Antivirus software, you can disable this.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Tutor
msqa
Message 5 of 16 (92,205 Views)

That is really helpful Vidya...thank you very much.  I hope I can trouble you with a couple follow-up questions:

• are the Java and Adobe items just running to decide if I need updates?
  • what is cyperlink?
  • regarding the HP Quick Launch Buttons, I'm not sure what you mean by "the line of keys above the function keys"

I appreciate your help.
Dean
Vidya
Message 6 of 16 (92,217 Views)

Yes, Java and Adobe programs in the startup are just to check if there is an update available.

The Notebook is preinstalled with Cyberlink DVD Suite. You can use CyberLink DVD Suite to perform many different multimedia and disc burning tasks, including creating data discs, music discs, movies and slideshows, capturing video, and labeling.

Some of the notebooks come with special buttons above the F1 - F12 keys. These buttons are named as HP Quick Launch Buttons. I am sorry for describing it wrongly.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 16 (92,211 Views)

The Adobe entry I believe is for the 'adobe speed up start' thing..not really needed. Java entry is for the updater.HP Quick Launch buttons usually include Volume controls,etc.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 8 of 16 (92,202 Views)

a) Java check for updates.

How to disable java update service on Windows Vista here.

b) Adobe. It's for sure Adobe Speed Luncher. With it pdf files runs faster.

If You want to check is adobe update switch on:

How to disable adobe update on Windows Vista here.

2. Cyberlink is a software company. As I remember You've got installed there DVD Suite from them.

3. I don't recommend deleting from startup files HP QLB. Why? It operates Your special keys.

4. HP MediaSmart TV (I don't have a tuner) - I recommend to uninstall this software. You can always install it again If You will need it from here. (just choose Your system).

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Student
cmg456
Message 9 of 16 (89,611 Views)

Thank you, Vidya!  Now I know where to look for helpful info on my new Compaq notebook. 

Top Student
marceloww2
Message 10 of 16 (85,020 Views)

Hi people, I would like to know if i can disable this ones and what this do :

- hpwuschd aplication

- IDT PC audio

- RAID event monitor

- INTEL (R) common user interface (3 times)

- Norton Online backup

And do you have some list of services that I can disable for performance ?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation