Question

Honor Student
Byron2808
Message 1 of 6 (4,665 Views)

Media touch keys don't work - Pavilion DV7-2110sa

[ Edited ]

Hi,  

On my second and final HP laptop in less than a month, a G62 previously sent back for erratic sound playback. So went for the Pavilion DV7-2110sa, which the touch sensitive media keys, volume, track selection etc do not work, neither does the on screen display for the volume when the remote control is used. It’s running Vista home premium (yes I know vista is pants but not the cause, I was going to put 7 on it sooner rather than later), with all the updates, plus optionals as ness, plus the HP updates that come up & various "softpacks" under for mediasmart, but to no avail. Straight outta the box the mediasmart keys worked fine, but never consistently since, now not at all.

Yes it’s a refurbished laptop ( with 12 month HP warranty) - but that’s no excuse! I’ve googled and searched these forums till I’m  sick to death of it & STILL cannot find a “cure”, only page after page of other poor owner’s with the same problem(s) & hit n miss cures or workarounds.

So unless someone can give a definitive answer, not sympathy as to a solution that makes the buttons forever work, it’ll be collected Weds as arranged with Dixons UK & I’ll NEVER ever buy another HP product again. 2 out of 2 faulty units is disgraceful. (Along with Dixons shoddy experts sending them out as such - “refurbished by experts”, I wonder what they are expert in, it aint laptops!! 

Am honestly loathed to send it back, as when it works its fantastic, looks & performs really well – I want to love it, but I’m not tolerating a repair on a laptop less than 12days new when it seems an inherent fault & they are now out of stock so an exchange isn’t possible, even if I was tempted.  (which I would have been).

Have factory & system restored countless times, am pretty streetwise in pc’s and laptops to a point, though no professional, but cannot sort this one.

Anyone found a FIRM SOLUTION to this problem that works? Or am I best just following my instinct and sending it back as arranged & going to Toshiba or anyone else but HP?

In desperation & not optimistically

Dan

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 6 (4,630 Views)

Re: Media touch keys don't work - Pavilion DV7-2110sa

Interesting situation, HP had so many problems with these touch sensitive keys, they have discontinued the feature all together.

The track selection keys (start, stop, pause etc.) should work all on their own in Media Smart DVD and in Windows Media Player etc.

The program OSD volume is in the Media Smart Smart Menu. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-70885-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

In order for the OSD to work there has to be at least one MS application installed and sometimes three, depending on what Menu you have.

Type in System Information in the search box and tell me what version of BIOS you have.

If you go to Windows 7 I can help you with that much more then with Vista. I have found the proper combination of programs to get the buttons to work in W7.

Besides the Media Smart Menu and it's programs you may also need the Quick Launch Button software, however after a lot of experimenting around I found that when the buttons stopped working reinstalling this had no positive affect, but here it is anyway.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48159.exe

There also may be a hard ware problem with the board itself or the cable or both. I am going to assume that the WiFi button works, so if it does it may not be a hard ware problem, however reseating the cable may cure your problems.

Try some of these things and post back, can't guarantee anything though.

Honor Student
Byron2808
Message 3 of 6 (4,605 Views)

Thanks for your help Haggis. I tried those things to suprise suprise, no avail. WMP11 & Media centre were installed & using either made no difference anyway. I had updated the BIOS to F19? I think it was, the latest anyway.

I had a message from HP offering to pass my details to HP UK for them to assist, but with no contact from them today (I'm sure the excuse'll be bank holiday catching up, etc), the clock has run out as it has to be collected tommorow or I'll loose my right to a refund & be stuck with having to get the **bleep** thing repaired which I'll not accept, shame as was very keen to keep it for the sake of simple patch fix or a swift exchange unit. I don't have the time or inclination to wait on a false hope though. So back in the box it goes, ready to refurbished by idiots, sorry "experts" :robotwink:,  to be sold onto at least a 3rd unfortunate innocent owner, who will no doubt be posting his or her woes on the very same problems by the end of May!

But thanks for your help anyway - I wish it worked. & thank you HP UK - I wish you worked - you've just lost a customer! Twice bitten, you'll never bite me a 3rd time! :smileyvery-happy:

Dan.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 6 (4,592 Views)

Hey Dan

That's too bad about your machine, I am just some guy in Canada that had some things to try, but I wasn't going to hold my breath. The next frame, stop, pause etc. should work, the fact that it wasn't would indicate a more serious problem and it's just as well that you were able to return it.

It's almost impossible to trouble shoot something like this unless I have the machine right in front of me.

Honor Student
Byron2808
Message 5 of 6 (4,582 Views)

A valiant & much appreciated effort from you nonetheless Haggis!

From what your saying, it prob was more serious, I forgot to say in my last whinge, sorry, post :smileywink: , that at the same time the wireless button etc stopped working too, but as it stayed ON, it wasn't a "problem". So was never going to get anywhere without hands on help, I now realise with your help.

So she's gone today, with mixed feelings, GREAT laptop, BUT.....!

I do wish tech firms would stop rushing out their products and actually test the blooming things PROPERLY 1st, mobile's especially, such is life!

All the best fella, thanks again

Dan.

Honor Student
rsaxy
Message 6 of 6 (3,627 Views)

Media touch keys don't work for MediaSmart Player

My media touch keys will not work when i'm in another window or program for the Hp MediaSmart music player on the laptop. It will work fine for windows media player but not for the media smart player.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation