Question

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 11 of 12 (562 Views)

Re: Mini 110-1030nr + Non Answering Tech Support = Paperweight!

LrdSmack ,

Sorry for the late reply.

I did read your thread, and I did read your initial post. I know you never called the AAFES line which is why I offered it because you are overseas. I can give you the direct number to the military line if you wish so you do not need to be transferred. My next comment would not be to replace the notebook. HP always encourages to troubleshoot or to service it. I put my disclaimer on my signature not out of choice. If you read the terms and agreements of this site it tells you if you are an hp employee you need to inform people of this. If it was my way, I would not inform customer of this. It adds a headache and assumption that I have all the answers. I do not. When I post here it is on my own time. I am not in my office and I do not use or have access to internal tools or sites. I use my hp education to better assist customers as a customer myself.

I hope this clarifies and if you wish to have the military 1-800 number post back here or pm me

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Tutor
PeteC2
Message 12 of 12 (544 Views)

Re: Have you tried the System Recovery option, F11 at startup? A bit of advice for PeteC2

LFla, your entire first haf of your reply was, of course, nothing but a "personal attack" or perhaps your understanding is minimal.  It's ok though, since you pretty much guessed wrong on every count!  I have been in similar situations as the OP, and oh yes, have twin daughters and have gone through these kind of frustrating situations.  However, that was not, and is not the point.

I have had a plethora of HP equipment over the years, most excellent, but with the occasional "lemon"...it happens.  That is why they have warranties.  As with all support, HP's has varied from very good to not so hot, based on who I've been in contact with, on par with most other consumer electronics companies.

If you know any of the major brand name computer makers who include actual restore disks anymore, let me know who they are.  No point in anger over this, as it is the price one pays for competitive product pricing.  We could argue all day on this, but it is the norm in the industry.

The OP could have opted to send in the unit, but wanted a quicker resolution, I get it.  However, if he prefers to go the restore disk route, then yes, he would need an external cd/dvd drive to install it.  That was NOT an invalid suggestion from the tech support person who recommended it, plain and simple.

It would be very easy to sit around and commiserate with a comrade in arms that those terrible tech support folks "done him wrong", but frankly, it would have in no way been of any tangible benefit.  More to the point, would be to take a fresh perspective, and take real steps to solve the problem. 

If it was "D.O.A." out of the box, then the best answer would be to return it, pure and simple...it happens, every single brand and model out there sometimes arrives messed up, and that is that.  If one chooses not to just return it/replace it, then it can be done, but yes, it gets more dicey.  I have NOTHING but respect for those serving in difficult places, however, that really is NOT the salient issue here.  The real question is how best to resolve the problem, within the framework that is available.  I HAVE dealt with being in locations where APO/FPO was my only delivery system with no "local" support available not a great position to be in, but there you are. 

The best advice is to weigh the options, and then deal with the situation as constructively as possible.  Due to these limitations, I HAVE been in situations where gifts to my children were unavoidably late,  No, I was not "happy" when this happened, but I learned that sometimes our situations dictate that you simply make the best resolution that is available.

BTW, I have HP/COmpaq notebooks (work and home), a netbook, and several HP printers.  Not ONE of them are are defective or problematic, which is why I tend to buy HP computer products. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation