Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp 250 g3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So, I have hp 250 g3 and my system is Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit).

I have Intel i3-3217U processor with intel HD 400 graphics, chip type is Intel HD Graphics family.

I have a problem, since after instalation, and verification in Device manager, I see that 3D video controller is not installed.

On one of the previous threads on a simmilar subject I noticed a response from a member who said that if I have 3D Video Controller in Device manager, then I have Nvidia graphics adapter.

Do I indeed have Nvidia network adapter or not?

How can I install missing 3D video Controller?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I recommend you install the net framework 4 at your earliest convenience.

I believe you need that software to run the nvidia graphics control panel that Banhien referred to in his screen shot.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please right click desktop, can you see NVIDIA Control Panel similar to the following image ?

nvidiacp.png

If yes, clict the NVIDIA Control panel, you can see things in there. If No: your machine does not have NVIDIA card.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello. I did just as you advised me, and, I do not have NVIDIA control panel, which means that my machine does not have NVIDIA card.

Now, back to my problem and my main question.

I have missing 3D Video Controller, so, can you tell me how to install it ?

Greetings.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you have one of the models with the nVidia graphics if you are seeing a 3D graphics controller needing a driver.

You have to have installed the Intel HD graphics driver first and reboot before installing the nvidia driver.

I see there is no driver listed on the support page, so the only suggestion I can offer is to try the one directly from nVidia.

The quickspecs for your model state it comes with a nVidia 820M.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/83082/en-us

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for the help and advice for the solution, now everything seems OK.

Just one thing more.

Now, in Device manager, under Display adapters, I have both Intel HD Graphics 400 and NVIDIA GeForce 820M.

Should I keep them both or should I uninstall Intel HD Graphics 400?

Regards.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

PeerOne is correct.  You must keep both adapters installed.

Here is in a nutshell how the switchable graphics works.

The PC will always use the Intel HD 4000 graphics adapter unless the video demand is too much for the onboard Intel graphics to handle.

If that happens, the PC will automatically switch to the nVidia graphics.

This is called dynamic switching.  It is automatic.  You cannot change which adapter is the default one.

Enjoy!

HP Recommended

Hello. That is interesting, I did not know that both graphics (Intel and NVIDIA) could be present in the laptops.

During the instalation of the NVIDIA driver I was prompted to install Microsoft .NET framework 4, but I was able to finish instalation of the driver without it, so I suppose I can install Microsoft .NET framework 4 later.

Anyway, I  have solved my problem, and you helped me a lot Paul, and, of course, also all others who responded to my post.

Well , you are all awesome, and you all have my gratitude. Kudos to you!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I recommend you install the net framework 4 at your earliest convenience.

I believe you need that software to run the nvidia graphics control panel that Banhien referred to in his screen shot.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.