Question

Top Student
lorenzar2
Message 1 of 7 (2,943 Views)

Missing Cyberlink PowerDVD from new HP laptops

Just purchased a dv4-4030us laptop and a g4-1125dx laptop.  The boxes and spec sheets for both units say that Cyberlnk PowerDVD should be included.  That doesn't seem to be the case -- the only Cyberlink software included is YouCam.  Anyone have any tips on how to obtain this software from HP?

Here's a link to the spec sheet for the dv-4030us model showing PowerDVD is included:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02863114&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 7 (2,927 Views)

Re: Missing Cyberlink PowerDVD from new HP laptops

Hi,

Download the installer for Cyberlink PowerDVD 10  on the link below and save the installer to your downloads folder.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53001-53500/sp53029.exe

When the download has completed, double-click the installer for PowerDVD 10 to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
lorenzar2
Message 3 of 7 (2,923 Views)

Thanks for the tip.  The file unpacked and began configuring for installation, but the installer program terminated by itself before any installation took place.  Rebooting didn't help.  Is there a way to force installation from a command line or subdirectory?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 7 (2,920 Views)

Hi,

Try the following.

Download and install 7-Zip.

When done, right click the PowerDVD installer, select 7-Zip, select Extract Files and click OK.  Open the newly extracted folder, browse down the list until you see the setup application ( 9th from the bottom with a size of 310Kb ).  Right click this and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation and see if it will now complete.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
lorenzar2
Message 5 of 7 (2,918 Views)

Thanks, tried this and no luck as well - result the same as before, with installer exiting after unpacking/configuring.  Perhaps it just doesn't recognize my machines are eligible for the software, or maybe I need a previous installation to upgrade.

I wonder if calling HP customer care woiuld help - surprised noone else has posted on this, or perhaps I just got unlucky with the two machines I have.  I can play DVDs with Windows Media Player, but would prefer the features of PowerDVD - and it was supposed to come preloaded on both machines.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 7 (2,910 Views)

Hi,

The only time I've seen the problem with this software not installing is on notebooks without a Blu ray drive - do either of the notebooks have a Blu ray drive ( the specs show they don't, but these are not always accurate )?

I do notice that Cyberlink PowerDVD is listed as an available download on both machines Here and Here.

It may well be an idea to contact HP and see if they have an explanation as to why the software wasn't included and why it will not install even when it is listed as an available download.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 7 (2,906 Views)

Have you tried HP Recovery Manager's option to reinstall Drivers & Software to see if it works?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5128739#Ins...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation