Question

Honor Student
luke-s998
Message 1 of 7 (2,231 Views)
Accepted Solution

Missing Network Drivers

Hi there.

I recently made an attempt to run Ubuntu Linux alongside my Windows 7 OS and I made a few mistakes with partitioning. All my Windows 7 data was gone. After managing to make a "repair disc" from my other PC and a "system image", I managed to get it working again, but there were none of the following drivers after installation:

"SM Bus Controller"

"PCI Device"

"Ethernet Controller"

"Network Controller"

- I believe (not entirely sure where the box is, but there are a lot of codes, et cetera on the bottom of the laptop) that the model is a HP Pavilion g6 1112-sa. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (2,227 Views)

Re: Missing Network Drivers

[ Edited ]

Hi:

For the smbus controller, I believe you need the AMD chipset driver.  First download is the one you want.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx

Ethernet controller should be this one:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-100079-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

For the network controller which is your wireless card (one of many that can be in your notebook), and the PCI device, click on each one in the device manager.  Then click on the Details tab. On the Properties drop down list, select the second item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters you see in the window.  Those will identify the type and model of the devices and I can send you the link the the W7 x64 drivers you need.

Paul

Honor Student
luke-s998
Message 3 of 7 (2,225 Views)

I'll get back to you about the two links you posted for the SM Bus and Ethernet Controller (thanks for those!).

The string of characters I get for the Network Controller are: 

"PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1785103C&REV_01"

And the PCI Device:

"PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_5209&SUBSYS_3566103C&REV_01"

Honor Student
luke-s998
Message 4 of 7 (2,222 Views)

You're a saint! I now have internet connection after the installation of the two drivers you've sent me. I can confirm that SM Bus and Ethernet Controller are now no longer showing as missing in the Devices menu. Windows currently seems unable to identify the network, but trusts it and makes use of it anyway (I'm guessing that's down to the other two missing drivers). You've helped me loads already and so quickly! I'm incomprehensibly grateful! Now to download Steam!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (2,219 Views)
Honor Student
luke-s998
Message 6 of 7 (2,215 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thankyou so much for your help   :smileyvery-happy:   ! To think that a couple of hours ago, I was doubting whether I'd even have a laptop after being spammed with "Missing operating system, missing operating system, missing operating system" (apparently one of my keys was jammed). Is there any way that I can give feedback about you or promote you for the help you've provided?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 7 (2,210 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome.

I am just a forum member like you. I don't work for HP.

We give points (Kudos) to someone that has helped with an issue by clicking on the white star in the blue box under the person's name.

The more points we get, the higher our "academic ranking" goes.

I was very glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation