Question

Student
amaelibar
Message 1 of 4 (1,189 Views)

My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive is missing

My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive has stopped working.  I've gone through a few different checks and nothing has worked.  Here's what I've done so far

1. Checked device manager:  CD/DVD drive not listed at all

2. Checked BIOS:  ATAPI CD/DVD Rom Drive IS listed in Boot order

3. Tried mulitple Microsoft Fix It exe:  Program could not find device

4. Checked for Windows update: installed all updates and resarted compter, no difference

5. Check regedit:  No lowwer or upper filter listed

6. Tried to reassign letter:  CD/DVD not found to do so

I wanted to update drivers, but the instructions listed told me to go to the device manager to check for updates so I couldn't do so because the device is not listed.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (1,124 Views)

Re: My HP Pavilion dv6910us CD/DVD drive is missing

Hi,

You could see if your drive will boot from your Recovery DVD as this should happen independently from any possible problem with Windows - ( insert the disc and then restart ).  If it does, cancel the installation.

If it doesn't boot from the disc, this would probably indicate a Hardware problem with the optical drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
bondtrails
Message 3 of 4 (1,090 Views)

Hi,

I too am having the exact same problem.

I am certain the CD/DVD ROM drive is working perfectly well as I was able to have my recovery DVD boot correctly. I also went into the BIOS setup and the DVD drive shows up fine too.

I read in other sites there are a fair number of folks having this issue. Won't reinstalling the driver fix this issue? There aren't any drivers for the DVD drive on HP's support site.

I really need help please.

Thank you,

Bondtrails

Student
ptharris47ix
Message 4 of 4 (704 Views)

Hi, have the same issue.  I could not boot from recovery cd, so I replaced the drive.  However, the same issue.  Can't boot and Windows won't recognize.  What's next?  Laptop works great otherwise, no issues except this annoying one.  Can you help?

Patrick

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation