Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

after almost a week from updating windows 8 to 8.1, when I log in to my pc  windows stuck at a "please wait" in start menu for ever, there is a cancel option but it doesn't work, i can't reach the desktop or anything.  i recovered the laptop once but the problem came again !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I called the support team and the solution soved by the following steps :

1. login to the affected account
  2. Press Windows Key + L to lock the computer
  3. Switch to a user account with administrator priveledges
  4. open task manager & switch to the "Processes" tab (Press "More Details" if don't see a processes tab)
  5. find restoreoptin.exe & end task that process
  6. switch back to affected account (Start Page, click your account name/picture, click the account you want to switch to)
  7. Open Charm menu (windows key + C), select "Settings", then Change PC Settings
  8. Select Skydrive
  9. Modify the File Storage, Camera Roll, and Sync Settings (not sure which one does the trick)
  10. logout & log back in
  11. you should no longer be prompted with the blank 'please wait' screen

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello Omaar,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand the computer will not turn boot properly. I apologize for the delayed response, and I will assist you the best I can. First I require the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Locating the Model Number of the Computer

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Have you installed any new hardware on this computer, before the issue appeared?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

Please respond as soon as possible. Thanks for choosing the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I called the support team and the solution soved by the following steps :

1. login to the affected account
  2. Press Windows Key + L to lock the computer
  3. Switch to a user account with administrator priveledges
  4. open task manager & switch to the "Processes" tab (Press "More Details" if don't see a processes tab)
  5. find restoreoptin.exe & end task that process
  6. switch back to affected account (Start Page, click your account name/picture, click the account you want to switch to)
  7. Open Charm menu (windows key + C), select "Settings", then Change PC Settings
  8. Select Skydrive
  9. Modify the File Storage, Camera Roll, and Sync Settings (not sure which one does the trick)
  10. logout & log back in
  11. you should no longer be prompted with the blank 'please wait' screen

HP Recommended
This has happened to me too! My laptop is only a month old! Pressed restart and Last 3 hours is on please wait! I have taken the battery out too! Same problem! I have windows 8 and the laptop is Hp 15-n096EA . I have not installed anything new onto the laptop! Please help!
HP Recommended

I also recently purchased an HP Laptop - top of the range - and i have a Blue Screen with "Please Wait..." showing and can't do anything!!!!   I can't reboot, shut-down and restart comes back to the same place, .... this is VERY VERY FRUSTRATING and my business is stuck without this.... not sure what to do at this point.  

VERY DISAPPOINTED with this.  

i am running Windows 8.1 on HP Envy 17".  I made no changes to my computer but when I logged out and switched to another user it just got hung in this state.  

PLEASE HELP URGENTLY!

HP Recommended
I also have this problem. Hoping you can get back to me asap with details on how to fix.
Hp laptop
running windows 8 or 8.1
no new hardware, software, or drivers were installed before the issue appeared.

Hoping to have problem resolved.
HP Recommended
my hp laptop is stuck at ..please wait. The curser is moving
HP Recommended

Even am facing the same problem. The blue screen with a message "please wait" in start menu for ever, there is a cancel option but it doesn't work.

I have updated the OS from windows 8 to 8.1. This is a new laptop which is not even a month old. What is the issue with the same?

And I am unable to work on my laptop. This is really worse.

HP Recommended
even i facing the same prob it was stuck on please wait. what will i do? asap please
HP Recommended
I have same problem pls what can I do
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.