Question

Honor Student
KahunasMom
Message 1 of 12 (4,926 Views)

My laptop keeps giving me an error that HPFS.exe has stopped working. Any suggestions?

My laptop keeps giving me an error that HPFS.exe has stopped working.  Any suggestions?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 12 (4,910 Views)

Re: My laptop keeps giving me an error that HPFS.exe has stopped working. Any suggestions?

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Forum,

It looks like HPFS.exe something that is not part of the normal Windows enviroment - if that helps... I cannot find it on my systems and they are pretty standard.

There is mention of this in something called Asterope - and I found that Asterope is, among lots of other things, an App - possibly a Game - based on a Greek myth.

Asterope may be down, that is, the application or Game may need to be restarted.

Asterope is also a Photo management system for photo sharing - an application for sharing.  That service may be down and need to be restarted.

If either of these make sense, then maybe that's all you need...

If they make sense, but you still need help - ask; someone on the Forum may know how to restart the software.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star in the Post that helped you.

Mark a Post “Accepted Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 12 (4,907 Views)

Re: My laptop keeps giving me an error that HPFS.exe has stopped working. Any suggestions?

[ Edited ]

KahunasMom wrote:

My laptop keeps giving me an error that HPFS.exe has stopped working.  Any suggestions?

I think you mean HPSF.exe?

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 12 (4,897 Views)

KahunasMom,

Mumbodog has a good point - Thanks, Mumbodog!

If you mistyped the name of the executable and it is supposed to be HPSF.exe:

THEN

This error is from the HP Support Assistant.

It's possible that the Assistant is in trouble for some reason.  Sometimes the error is due to corruption.

You can try to troubleshoot it -

OR

Try this:

Go to this link to download and install the latest HP Support Assistant for your computer.

Reinstall the Support Assistant - see if the error goes away.

Link to the Latest Download of the HPSA:

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-support-assistant.html

If HPSA (HP Support Assistant) continues to give you trouble, you can go to

Control Panel > Programs and Features

> Uninstall HPSA  and just leave it off of your computer entirely.

NOTE that if you do remoove the program you will not get automatic HP updates and other benefits from the program.  This works quite well for a lot of people - it's personal choice.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star in the Post that helped you.

Mark a Post “Accepted Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
rayoue
Message 5 of 12 (4,728 Views)

hi my photo is working properly.

i do not use any games so i do not know about that.

thanks anyways

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 6 of 12 (4,722 Views)

Rayoue,

It might have been the HP Support Assistant all along.  It's nice until it's not and then it can get in the way.  Is this still a problem?

If you want to pursue this, please do clarify the exact name in the error message, so we are looking for the right executable.  Also, is this a popup?  How often does it show up?  Are you running Windows 7?

Let me know if you'd like help....

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
rayoue
Message 7 of 12 (4,710 Views)

hi dragon-fur.i checked the photos but they work ok.i still have the problem.thanks ray
Honor Student
rayoue
Message 8 of 12 (4,707 Views)

thank you for the advice the download worked fine i am up and running again  thank you

ray

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 9 of 12 (4,702 Views)

Excellent, I misunderstood.  Love things that work as they should.  Thanks for letting me know.. twice!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
KahunasMom
Message 10 of 12 (4,671 Views)

I downloaded the new version of HP Help but am still getting this error.  Please advise.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation