Question

Honor Student
Timelorder
Message 1 of 5 (9,926 Views)
Accepted Solution

Need help changing Function Key setting in Windows 8, help?

Hey, I bought a HP laptop yesterday (which I'm very pleased with) and decided to play Guild Wars 2 and all my favourite games for PC. In game I discovered that all the F buttons work without pressing FN, which is annoying. So while i'm tyring to fight various things i will always end up turning down brightness and switching off the wireless :smileyfrustrated: So if i could find out how to swap this around so when i press FN I can turn down brightness etc it would mean I could now use the F buttons normally :smileyvery-happy: Any help would be kind THANKS!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (9,922 Views)

Re: Need help changing Function Key setting in Windows 8, help?

Hi,

You should be able to change this setting in your Bios menu - see the document on the following link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Timelorder
Message 3 of 5 (9,920 Views)

Yeah...erhm tried that :smileyfrustrated: Nothing happens when i press F10

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (9,912 Views)

Hi,

See if you can access it as follows.

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you power on to launch the Start-up Menu and select the Bios menu ( f10 ) option from here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
Rahul_Ethiraj
Message 5 of 5 (2,220 Views)

Finally found the solution after 3 weeks.  Tried and manupulated all drivers and NIC lan card of my hp laptop dv6 7011tx.

UNINSTALL HP Quick Launch which caused the whole lot of problems and do the following 

- Shut down laptop

- Remove power cable & battery

- Press power switch for 30 sec

-  Attach power

- Power up laptop without battery

- Switch on wifi ---it works

- Now switch on the laptop with battery

HP quick launch describes itself as "

Description

This package contains the HP Quick Launch Software, which enables special function keys on supported notebook models to be programmed. For example, the HP Quick Launch Software enables users to press the Fn+ESC keys to view system information. This software works with the supported operating systems. "

Note  :
                          This is the main problem.  I have found after seeing the internal working of this driver.  It caused the keys to work in its own described way thus overriding the wifi f12 button functionality to change from orange to white or white to orange.

After  and when restarting :
                                                       Put the computer to sleep and wake it up to find wifi on.

On normal shutdown and booting:
                                                                   Wifi works perfectly.

Note to HP:

Please check the working of HP Quick Launch Software.  I could find its algorithm and functioning and its made to override the default windows 8 key designed for HP.

Give me kudos if it works. 
Give me kudos if it works. And mark it is a Solution.

Thank you all for support and help.

Rahul
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation