Question

Tutor
Jedi99
Message 1 of 20 (796 Views)
Accepted Solution

New HP M7 / How to ?

Hi , 

I just bought an HP M7 Notebook and would like to do the following and I have NO to Very little knowledge at best on how to accomplish what I would like to do , so here goes.

I want to buy an SSD , I`m thinking the Crucial M4 - 512 GB , and I want to buy Windows 7 Home Premium.

Now the hard part ( or easy if you know how , which is where you guys come in -- I hope ! ).

I install the SSD > Power On my M7 > Pop open the disc tray and put in the Windows 7 DVD , then

I hope that after I push the tray in the BIOS will recognize that know software is on drive C: and will look to the disc drive and ask if I want to boot from the dvd.

I select "yes" ? and do a custom install of the components I will use , then the M7 should restart ?

Then I go to Microsoft and down load the Service Pack 1 > restart.

After it restarts , I go to HP`s support page and down load everything available , all biometric and utilities ,  drivers , etc.

Then I find a good virus tool ( software ) and then install it.

Then buy Home Office / Student for Word and One Note + Excel ( again select install ).

And then I can enjoy my new M7 ?

Is the path I discussed possible and doable ?

Many thanks , and I apologize in advance for my ignorance , but what to you want from a Mac User !!

Thanks again, 

Gary

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 20 (763 Views)

Re: New HP M7 / How to ?

[ Edited ]

Yes that is basically correct, but you can save yourself some money by simply using your laptop's product key to activate W7.

Also find a folder in Drive "C" named SwSetup, this contains all your drivers and most of your preinstalled software, burn the entire folder to DVD where it may come in handy later.

Here is a link to download W7 as an ISO where you can burn it to DVD. The trick is the W7 download has to be the exact same version as what you're running now on the laptop.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/ 

(service pack one is already included in this version, but you will still have to run Windows updates)

Here is a tutorial that I like that you may find useful.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

If you need help installing drivers etc. post again, but I will need you complete model number.

To boot from the W7 disc, open the DVD drawer, leave it open and shut down. Pop in your W7 disc and shut the drawer _ boot up and start tapping the f9 key. Use your up and down & enter key to boot from the CD/DVD ROM.

(your SSD should be in place before booting to W7 of course :smileyhappy:)

When it comes time to enter your HP OEM product key do not enter it when it prompts you to, install it as a trial at first.

When it's done installing right click on Computer and go to Properties. At the bottom of that page find change product key.

Enter your OEM product key, if it doesn't take then you will have the choice of phone activation, this method will work.

There are other ways of transfering Windows over by using a third party program to mirror image the drive and reinstalling the W7 HP version, but it's not quite as clean as starting from scratch.

Here it is anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cRq5SuFpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqsw4U8S60

If you go this route and run into problems I may not be able to help you as I have never done it this way before.

I watched the videos, but there seems to be allot of steps for something that seems so simple.

One more thing, what ever method you use, be sure and use non rewritable DVD's and that they are a good brand name, don't use the cheap generic crap !  Use Sony, Verbatim etc. You can use DVD+R as it's an HP machine, but DVD-R will work as well.

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 20 (752 Views)

Great advice as usual from HaggisCat.Especially about copying the SwSetup folder with your drivers and software installers. That will save a lot of downloading time. Especially if you have no internet connection due to no driver for the ethernet or wireless adapter.:smileywink:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Jedi99
Message 4 of 20 (737 Views)

Hi , 

Thanks for your very helpful post and reply.

So a folder named "SWSetup" has all my most recent drivers ? >> :smileyhappy: that is great :smileyhappy:

Many thanks as well for the links you provided.

Would copying to a USB Flash Drive be as good as burning a disc or is a disc requiered in order not to mess arounf with the BIOS ?

So follow the link > burn the dvd`s > write down product key > insert disc + reboot with tray open and keep tapping F9 while starting up. 

Would that be the same thing do to if I ordered the recovery discs from HP ?

Anyway , I think I have got it m very clear instructions , again many thanks. :smileyvery-happy:

Gary 

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 20 (731 Views)

[ Edited ]

Don't make this too complicated now.  :smileyhappy:

Your question :

So a folder named "SwSetup" has all my most recent drivers ?

They are the drivers that came with your machine when new, they are not necessarily the most recent ones. I directed you to the SwSetup folder to get you started and if you like you may always update them later if need be. I am not a big fan of updating drivers just because there is a new version, so if the ones(s) form the SwSetup folder work, you may want to leave it alone, it's up to you.

Your Question :

Would copying to a USB Flash Drive be as good as burning a disc or is a disc required in order not to mess around with the BIOS ?

You could probably use a USB flash drive and boot from it by tapping the f9 button on boot up. The flash drive would have to be plugged in before you boot so the BIOS will see it and give you the choice to boot from it.

The worst thing that will happen is it won't work and you will have to burn the ISO files to DVD and install W7 as I described earlier.

Your Comment :

So follow the link > burn the dvd`s > write down product key > insert disc + reboot with tray open and keep tapping F9 while starting up.

This isn't quite right, the tray has to be closed with your burned W7 DVD in it before you boot up or if you like with the USB flash drive inserted before you boot up. If you boot up with the tray open nothing will happen when you start tapping the f9 key. It would be the same as you not inserting the flash drive.

Your Question :

Would that be the same thing do to if I ordered the recovery discs from HP ?

Yes this would be the same procedure to boot from the HP recovery discs, if you have the recovery discs you may try to install W7 in this manner, but very often the HP recovery discs don't like a retail SSD and they simply won't work. I see this problem quite often.

What's your full model number please ?  I can help you find your drivers as it's important to install your chipset driver first. Windows will install a generic one, but it's best to get the most recent one before installing anything else.

I did have a look at your models basic specs and I think you're running an Intel processor, if this is correct go to Intel and run their auto driver finder and save the chipset driver it finds to a flash drive or what ever want and install that first before anything else.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

The whole procedure is simple _ boot from the W7 disc (or flash drive). Follow the instructions and the whole thing will be done in about 20 minutes. Install you drivers and run Windows updates. Your new SSD will have nothing on it, that is referred to as "Unallocated Space" You let W7 install itself automatically, it will format and create its own 2 partitions by itself _ let it do its thing. You can create any custom partitions later after it's installed.

Some have chosen to do it before it's installed with the W7 disc and this works too.

If you make a mistake, you can simply start over...

The rest like installing an Anti Virus program, activating Windows etc. can be done any time.

Remember to give Cheryl a KUDOS too, you want to be nice to her... :smileyhappy::heart:

She is a bundle of knowledge and information.

Tutor
Jedi99
Message 6 of 20 (727 Views)

Hi , 

Many thanks for your patience and help as I am really new to this , so a-ok , restore disc would not be a good idea and using a flash drive might work. 

I have the M71015dx with the i7 and the Intel M77 ? chip set ( sorry I`m at my Mac right now ).

But I think it is the M77 or something 77 Intel chip set with HD4000 GPU

Once again many thanks :smileyvery-happy:

Gary

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 20 (725 Views)

[ Edited ]

Run Intel's driver finder and use the chipset driver it finds when your new SSD comes.

Intel will also find a driver for the 4000 series video card, but they are having a few problems with that along with their WiDi drivers right now so you may want to use the HP one from your support page or from your SwSetup folder, but use the chipset driver from the Intel support page for sure.

I will see if I can find it for you.

If it does find one, don't click to run it, choose to save the driver to the desk top and then you have it when your SSD arrives.

You may order the restore discs or create your own with the recovery manager. (find the recovery manager application in "All Programs") Some like to have them as another resource of back-up. You can always try them and if they work _ great _ if they don't then you will have to do a manual install like you're planning now.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 20 (722 Views)

The Chipset driver version from your support page is the same as the one from Intel, so use either or...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20775&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-102471-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

In some cases when you are running a retail version of W7, the HP install file will not work and you have to unpack the install folder and install the driver manually.

If this happens, post again and I will tell you how to get around this if this problem occurs.

Tutor
Jedi99
Message 9 of 20 (719 Views)

Hi, 

OK so I thought I knew where to find the Intel chipset numbers , but no-can-do .

I did see on the link you provided that it gave 2 options , Should I goto the X86 or X64 ? I would think X64.

So if I decide to try it I have found the SWsetup folder and I would highlight it and click the "burn" tab on top of the window bar ? , 

I should go and buy some discs !!

Sorry , but where do I find the W7 Product Code ? and your saying that SSD`s have there own drivers ?

I`m really really new to PC`s atleast new ones , the last PC I owned was back in 1988 and it was a Tandy clone.

I had some fun nights with that one ( not ).

Thanks again , take care :smileyhappy:

Gary

Tutor
Jedi99
Message 10 of 20 (713 Views)

Hi , 

Me again !

So I`m using my Mac to dowload the ISO file ( X64 ) directly to a "burn folder" then burn from folder to DVD-R or DVD + R ?

The file size is 3,09 GB , so I should be able to use just one dvd , and then I will use another for thee SWsetup file on my M7.

Maybe tomorrow I will get a chance to buy some blank discs , ( can`t remember the last time I burned a disc , but have never done from a burn folder on OX-X , burned some minor files with OS-9 , it`s been a while !!! )

I`ll keep you posted , again thanks.

Later :smileyhappy:

Gary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation