Question

Tutor
Erds
Message 1 of 8 (11,488 Views)
Accepted Solution

New Windows 7 laptop (dv7) Need to clean install windows

How can I clean install windows (without any preloaded software) on my new laptop.  It doesn't look like the laptop came with any windows disks.

I already created the recovery disks, but they will reinstall to the purchase state, not clean state.

Thanks!

Tutor
Erds
Message 2 of 8 (11,485 Views)

Re: New Windows 7 laptop (dv7) Need to clean install windows

I also would like to repartition my drive, which I usually do from the basic windows installer
Teacher
curiousguy
Message 3 of 8 (11,489 Views)

try this guide

" If you find it helpful, pls click on the blue KUDOS button on the left -side of the screen as an indication "
Top Student
FFX8
Message 4 of 8 (11,480 Views)

You will probably have to find someone with the Windows 7 ________ <----Fill with whatever version you have Disc and ask to copy it so you can clean install Windows for yourself using your own Windows Key.

Find a forum for your notebook and see if anyone has successfully done this. You will have to make sure you have all the drivers and whatever button specific programs you need (such as the touch sensitive controls for like sound); drivers may be found in one of the recovery discs you made as well, would have to look though. Also, when your rearranging partitions, theres usually a "hidden" partition containing the "recovery" for your specific notebook (10gb or so in size), I dont know if deleting this partition will constitute to any reason for HP not honoring their warranty should you have to send it in.

Best bet, copy Windows 7 disc and just format the primary partition and install. If for some reason after you have installed all the drivers and something on the laptop does not work you can always use the recovery discs and sadly, uninstall everything that you dont want

Tutor
Erds
Message 5 of 8 (11,455 Views)

The issue is finding someone with a copy of Win 7 Home Pro 64 bit.  It doesn't make sense to me, I own a license, therefore I should be able to have a windows oem disk
Tutor
Erds
Message 6 of 8 (11,451 Views)

curiousguy wrote:

try this guide

thanks, but I already know how to do it.  i was just looking for the oem disk or a way to only install windows and not the boat load of hp software
Tutor
Erds
Message 7 of 8 (11,387 Views)

Erds wrote:

How can I clean install windows (without any preloaded software) on my new laptop.  It doesn't look like the laptop came with any windows disks.

I already created the recovery disks, but they will reinstall to the purchase state, not clean state.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium Disk in order to perform a clean install?

Tutor
Erds
Message 8 of 8 (11,215 Views)

Erds wrote:

Erds wrote:

Thanks!

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium Disk in order to perform a clean install?

I wound up having to purchase an upgrade to Windows Ultimate from Best Buy to get the disks.  Ouch!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation