Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The day before yesterday, I turned off the PC using Windows Vista Menu > Shut Down. When I turned it on, after the HP logo, it shows a black screen with the following error: No bootable device -- insert a boot disk and press any key.

I already tried to Load BIOS Setup Defauts, did Memory and Primary Hard Disk Self Tests (they were OK), changed the boot order (F10), but the error message persists.

I did the reset procedure, which I unplugged the battery and the AC charger and keep the power button pressed for 6 seconds, but it didn't worked either.

I tried the (F11) Recovery Mode, but the error message persists (I do not have the recovery discs to boot from the disc). I tried to boot from Windows XP disc but it stays forever on the Press any key to start from the CD message. I tried to boot it using another OS CD (Ubuntu) but it asks to update the BIOS. I do not have Vista DVD (it did not come with the PC). What else can be done? How can I solve this problem?
93 REPLIES 93
HP Recommended

Hi -

Same thing happened to me one hour ago. I have Vista as well. Don't have the boot disk neither..

The quick test of the disk came out successful, but the complete test doesn't want to start...

What happened with yours? Did you manage to fix it?

Thank

HP Recommended

ahhh i neeed help on that too.

did you ever manage to fix it by yourself?

HP Recommended

If you didn't make your Recovery DVD set, contact HP for one:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I did the reinstallation with the recovery-DVDs I created, after I had to exchange the harddrive of my new touchsmart Tm2 notebook.

But then I got the error listed above.

What can I do?

Thanks for help!

HP Recommended

Having the same problem.  Received new drive under warranty - went thru the recovery disks several times and it still wants a boot disk

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

i have purchased a hp laptop dv4 pavilion model no 1543sb. but when i opened the laptop, and remained sometimes, the following message autometically came..

No bootable device, insert boot dics and enter any key error.

What can i do? please suggest.

HP Recommended

So frustrating... I am having the same problem and have spent about 20 hrs. trying to fix this issue. I am about 50 days out of warranty and so badly do not want to have to surrender my laptop to Best Buy's Geek Squad for 2 weeks or more (I bought their extended warranty) to have them fix this. Nothing against the Geek Squad, but I'm so dependent on my computer, the thought of having to go without my laptop for 2 weeks is mortifying and they don't give any kind of temporary replacement while yours is in the shop.

I've tried just about everything I can think of, from doing a Hard Disk Test to opening it up to make sure nothing was loose inside. Actually, after doing the hard Disk test a few days ago, it seemed to be running a LOT better. It took something like 10 hours for it to finish, but I was happy right after I did it. It seemed to be back to normal.  However, the next time my copmputer shut down, it was back to being 5x slower than normal.

Like a dummy I didn't make my recovery disks until the other day (I did it after the hard disk test seemed to make it run smoother, but I knew they wouldn't be the best quality disks). I ordered them from HP via fedex to arrive in 2 days (total was about $30 - i know it could have been more but that'll teach me not to make the **bleep** things as soon as I get a new laptop).

When my screen was continually freezing up today I decided to try to use the boot disks I'd made a few days ago, and after many different screens making me think that maybe it worked, ultimately I am still left with the same error message:

No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key.

HP's disks should arrive in one more day from now. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to surrender my laptop to best buy. It's so frustrating that my hard drive crapped out less than two months out of warranty. I would have really appreciated being able to resolve this through HP rather than the Geek Squad, if possible.

I've been taking photos of all the different error messages I've received during this process.... Let's just say I could make a whole flickr album of them.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem. I shutdown my laptop, took a shower, got out, turned it on and a screen with blue wrighting cam up. (cant remember the exact words) but said something like no operating system installed, hard drive failed. I went into the bios screen and checked all the settings, and noticed my network adapter was disabled. So i enabled it, saved and exited. The computer restarted and I was greeted by the welcome screen. But then ten minutes in it shut off and now im back at the "no bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key"

Does that make any sense? I was able to get past the screen but now I dont know what happened. I'm a college student and a photographer, I have a ton of files on my computer, I cant afford to loose them. Please help.

HP Recommended

I have a CQ5011UK and have the same problem, did you solve the problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.