Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-7095ca
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

Since I updated the BIOS to F.0A I get a black screen and the message "No boot device -- insert a boot disk and press any key". The internal disk (c:) is no longer recognized. I can see the BIOS screen, which looks OK and shows the bios version F.0A (InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev 3.7).
On tab "Diagnostics" I can run the Primary Hard Disk Self Test and Memory Test, they are OK.

Before updating the bios everything was fine, I was just updating some 2012 drivers.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help and please apologize my broken English.
Please check item 7, if you are in a hurry. This is the point with my Pavilion DV6-7095CA:

1)The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium (64bits), the original that came with my Pavilion 7095CA, plus HP updates until 2013, plus all Windows updates up to July, 2015.

2)Right now I cannot access the operating system and I don't have UEFI interface. All I can see, as I press F2 during startup, is a simple disk test available in BIOS F.0A (the test shows the disk is OK)

3)Back in 2013 it had a disk failure. I did replace the disk and reinstall the original Win7, all updates including HPs, win7 updates and all my personal software.

4)At that time I bought a spare hard disk and made a complete disk copy using Partition Wizard bootable cd. The second disk was tested and was fully working, with all my personal software on it.

So I have 2 identical HDs with the very same system on both disks, fully working and tested .

5)Few days ago I came across HP website and made some updates, including BIOS F.0A (the last update was BIOS, of course).

6)After BIOS update ran, I got the message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

7)I could not fix the problem, so I did remove the hard disk and install my backup disk, which was in a safe dry place since 2013.

😎 I turned on the computer and got the same message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", and I found no way to fix this.

Right now I'm doing a fresh install on a third HD. Everything runs fine, so far, in the fresh install and I will never buy HP again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Try using the PC Diagnostics UEFI and firnware management to rollback to the previous BIOS.  Press the power button and immediately tap the F2 key to access the UEFI  PC Diagnostics. You can also access it form the startup menu by pressing the F2 key.

There is a troubleshooting web document relative to the no boot device found which details how to set the BIOS back to the default settings. I would do that after rolling the BIOS back to the previous version.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5226230/model/5...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks,

The F2 menu shows System Diagnostcs: F1 system information, F2 start-up test, F3 run-in test, F4 hard disk test.

I've made all them. They all passed OK.

My BIOS interface shows no option to rollback nor to update the BIOS.

The BIOS update was made under Windows 7 (using the file I got on HP support website).

HP Recommended

I think the problem is related to GPT and MBR partition method. It looks like the new BIOS won't recognize GPT partition.

HP Recommended

@FernChaves wrote:

I think the problem is related to GPT and MBR partition method. It looks like the new BIOS won't recognize GPT partition.

The BIOS recognizes the partition types. The issue is that the BCDStore. (Boot configuration Data)  file is probably corrupt.   

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting on the web document that I linked you to?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

The BIOS recognizes the partition types. The issue is that the BCDStore. (Boot configuration Data)  file is probably corrupt.   

Have you tried all of the troubleshooting on the web document that I linked you to?

HP Recommended

Most of the troubleshooting on the web needs Win 7, which I can't access. I did all available tests on BIOS (they all passed ok)and tried some boot and partition repair disks I have: Partion Wizard and boot-repair-disk. Nothing worked.

HP Recommended

In your first post the operating system was identified as being Windows 7. That was why my suggestion referenced that OS.  What OS is actually installed?

You may have to use the recovery media to return the operating system to its original condition and partitioning scheme.

I highly recommend removing the hard disk and putting it in a hard disk enclosure or using a usb to SATA connector to connect it to another PC to recover your important data before using the recovery media.  

The factory image recovery will wipe all of the data that is currently on the hard disk before  reinstalling the original operatng system.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help and please apologize my broken English.
Please check item 7, if you are in a hurry. This is the point with my Pavilion DV6-7095CA:

1)The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium (64bits), the original that came with my Pavilion 7095CA, plus HP updates until 2013, plus all Windows updates up to July, 2015.

2)Right now I cannot access the operating system and I don't have UEFI interface. All I can see, as I press F2 during startup, is a simple disk test available in BIOS F.0A (the test shows the disk is OK)

3)Back in 2013 it had a disk failure. I did replace the disk and reinstall the original Win7, all updates including HPs, win7 updates and all my personal software.

4)At that time I bought a spare hard disk and made a complete disk copy using Partition Wizard bootable cd. The second disk was tested and was fully working, with all my personal software on it.

So I have 2 identical HDs with the very same system on both disks, fully working and tested .

5)Few days ago I came across HP website and made some updates, including BIOS F.0A (the last update was BIOS, of course).

6)After BIOS update ran, I got the message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

7)I could not fix the problem, so I did remove the hard disk and install my backup disk, which was in a safe dry place since 2013.

😎 I turned on the computer and got the same message "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", and I found no way to fix this.

Right now I'm doing a fresh install on a third HD. Everything runs fine, so far, in the fresh install and I will never buy HP again.

HP Recommended

You should have considered setting the BIOS to default settings and then restarting the notebook. 

Your not bootable device issue is actually a fairly common error.

You  can run into the same issue with whatever brand notebook you purchase in the future.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.