Question

Top Student
chipychip
Message 1 of 11 (2,594 Views)
Accepted Solution

No drivers for Windows 7 for HP Pavilion G6-2260sh

Hi,

I recently bought a HP Pavilion G6-2260sh laptop. Unfortunatelly on the HP site there are only drivers for Windows 8. I don't want Windows 8, I need Windows 7 OS.
When I got the laptop there was an installed Windows 7 Ultimate with drivers. So there must be drivers for Windows 7 for HP Pavilion G6-2260sh... somewhere. Unfortunatelly I kind of messed up the Windows and now it needs to be reinstalled. I asked some questions around and the guy who sold me the laptop and this is the sutiation:
My laptop is with AMD processor and video card. He told me to reinstall whatever version of Windows 7 I want, then install the ethernet and the wifi card so I can connect to the intertet. Then download and install a small program called "amd autodetect", this program will automatically find and dowload all the drivers.

I don't have ethernet internet at home, I have only wireless.

The problems is :  after installation of Win 7 how I am supposed to install the wifi card to get that internet connection and process with AMD AUTODETECT program with all drivers?

Could you tell me a place I can find a driver for the wifi-card.? If there are drivers for everthing will be superb!. I did search a lot.

Here's the laptop (I dind't know what's relevant so I posted it all)

HP Pavilion G6-2260sh

Microprocessor: 2.5 GHz AMD Dual-Core A4-4300M APU

Chipset: AMD A70M FCH

Memory: 4 GB DD3

Video Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7670M (1 GB DDR3 dedicated)

Hard drive: 500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive: SuperMulti DVD+-R/RW with double layer support

Display: 39.6 cm (15.6”) HD BrightView LED-backlit (1366 x 768)

Network Card:Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity: 802.11b/g/n; Bluetooth

Sound: Altec Lansing speakers with Dolby Advanced Audio

Keyboard: Full size textured island-style with numeric keypad

Pointing Device: TouchPad supporting multi-touch gestures and on/off button

External Ports: Digital media card reader! VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 headphone-out, 1 microphone-in, 1 USB 2.0., 2 USB 3.0, 1 RJ45

Camera: HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone

I am a woman and not much of an installer myself so I am kind of stuck here. I know how to install OS and drivers if there are drivers. But I have no drivers and don't know what to do.

If you have any other suggestions besides "amd autodetect" program you are welcome to share them.

If I have no other option but "amd autodetect" I will need to install the wifi card somehow. Are there any universal drivers for wifi cards for HP Paviliom?

Thanks!

PhD Student
mahemac
Message 2 of 11 (2,580 Views)

Re: No drivers for Windows 7 for HP Pavilion G6-2260sh

Hi, 

If the notebook is still booting to windows, then i would suggest you to download the wireless drivers on the system. Then you can copy the same onto Flash drive or external Hard disk drive. Since for the notebook which you are using, HP as only drivers for Windows 8 and not for Windows 7.

"I work for HP."

Please click the "White Kudos" star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem.

Teacher
Aves_S
Message 3 of 11 (2,576 Views)

What is the Operating System you wanna install on the pc??

Did you create any recovery discs for your pc..

Clicking Kudos! Is a nice way to say Thank You if this helped you or resolved your problem. Also " Accept It As A Solution" so that others get a benefit from it..

- Aves..
Top Student
chipychip
Message 4 of 11 (2,563 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! The computer's OS is still booting. What I've messed is not exactly here for this forum. Briefly this was my first experiece with Windows 7,  I removed the WAT after unsuccessful activation and having the ... you know what problems. The computer's working fine except that I can't install some more software which I need in my work.

I didn't get an installation DVD when I bought the laptop because the installed Windows 7 was supposed to be only to show me that the laptops's working OK and to explore the device manager to see the configuration. If I had the DVD used for the installation I might have been able to do not reinstall but update (drivers, programs, everything will stay untouched) and the DVD will restore the missing WAT. Am I thinking correctly here?

So two questions. I will be greatful if you answer them separately

1. Can I do an upgrade with another version of Window 7 Ultimate? If that is possible all drivers and programs will stay as they are now. And will the WAT will be restored?

2. How can I download from the computer (not from internet)  all the drivers which are already installed on my Windows 7 Ultimate? The files of the drivers themselves are not kept on the harddrive.  If I can download the drivers to the harddrive moving the drivers to flashdrive is a piece of cake.

Sorry for writing so long posts but there's no one to help me and I really need to get that laptop working properly.

Thank you!

PhD Student
mahemac
Message 5 of 11 (2,557 Views)

Hi,

Answer for the Question 1:- Yes you can upgrade the OS to higher version of Windows 7. Since your already using the higher version of Windows 7 that is Windows 7 Ultimate. So you cant install Windows 7 lower version on Windows 7 Ultimate. So you have to reinstall the Windows 7 Ultimate only.

Answer for the Question 2:- Since the drivers are alreay installed on the system, you wont be able to download them from the hard drive to flash drive. You have to download them on the system from internet and you should not be installing them. Then you can copy the same drivers to flash drive and once you reinstall the OS. You will be able to copy the drivers from flash drive to notebook and then you can install it.

"I work for HP."

Top Student
chipychip
Message 6 of 11 (2,555 Views)

Hrrr ... still no solution for my problem.

About 1. My current version of Windows is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 . I found several releases  of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. Can I just use the latest release of Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 from 2013 and use it to upgrade the one I have at the moment?

BY UPGRADE I MEAN TO REPAIR THE WINDOWS.
I want to repair it like the Windows XP has an option Repair, I used to repair my old XP with the same installation disk used to install the XP for the first place. The installation disk repaired the Windows without harming any drivers, programs, desktop changes and so on.

Since I obviously don't have the installation disk used on my laptop, can I use another one with the same OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and use it with its fuction "Upgrade" (meaning repair) not "Install"?

About 2: I think I already said drivers for my laptop are not available for any version of Windows 7 on the web. I don't know how they installed them on my laptop. There must be somewhere... hidden problably. HP official site provides only drivers for Windows 8.
How can I download the drivers from the internet when there are any?

Top Student
chipychip
Message 7 of 11 (2,554 Views)

The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. But I didn't install it myself. I got it with the computer.
Since drivers were not available for Windows 7 for my HP Pavilion I decided to go with the OS I had already had installed but I messed up the activation process.
It was a bad luck due to lack of experience with installations of Windows 7 at all. I have installed, reinstalled and repaired my two old laptops with XP. But I did have drivers.

No drivers now...

The only thing causing problems in my Windows is the absence of WAT at all because I removed it. There are many wat removers on the web but I couldn't find any "Restore WAT" tools.

I have two options: repairing the Windows somehow (restoring the WAT) or installing a fresh copy of any Windows 7 I want but there are no drivers.

Dead end on both options.

Please help!

PhD Student
mahemac
Message 8 of 11 (2,545 Views)

Hi,

I do understand the issue, you will be able to repair but for doing that if it asks for product key during the repair process. Then you have to get the product key for Windows 7 Ultimate. Since the installation disk will be same for all version of Windows 7 and it decides the version based on the product key which you have. 

If you reinstall the OS, before you do that. You can download drivers related to wireless card, AMD chipset drivers. So if these two are downloaded onto flash drive, then once u install OS. You will be able to install other drivers without any issues. Otherthan this the only option would be buying recovery disk from HP. Where you will be getting windows 8 and drivers will get download automatically. 

"I work for HP."

Top Student
chipychip
Message 9 of 11 (2,537 Views)

Hi,

Hi,

About this: 

"I do understand the issue, you will be able to repair but for doing that if it asks for product key during the repair process. Then you have to get the product key for Windows 7 Ultimate. Since the installation disk will be same for all version of Windows 7 and it decides the version based on the product key which you have."

Can I use the repair option of the installation disk with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 without entering the product key?

The Windows I got with the laptop was with activation expiring in 24 days. Can I go through the repair process without entering product but leaving the activation for later. Then I think I am going to get the 30 days of free activation. This is what I want: To Repair the Windows 7 to get the WAT restored and the 30 days of free activation.

Could you look up the 13-th picture of this link
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-for-Beginners

Thanks!

PhD Student
mahemac
Message 10 of 11 (2,517 Views)

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in the reply, please follow the steps to perform Startup Repair in Windows 7. Which will not ask for product key.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

"I work for HP."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation