Question

Honor Student
David-Williams
Message 1 of 4 (155 Views)

OS (Win 7) not booting after new hard drive installation. HELP PLEASE

Reinstallation of Windows 7 on new replacement hard drive, operating system fails to boot after Recovery Mgr completes partition and downloads all 3 Recovery DVDs and supplemental disk. At following auto restart after download, opens saying no Operating System. I have literally redownloaded this recovery media to this DV-7 twenty times at least, and can't access my BIOS due to an Admin password I can't remember. Only remember setting BIOS Admin Power Up password. Help please, asap!
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (141 Views)

Re: OS (Win 7) not booting after new hard drive installation. HELP PLEASE

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I can't help you with why the recovery disks aren't working but if you can read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on the Microsoft COA sticker on the bottom of your PC, you can make your own plain W7 installation media and use that to install W7.

Then go to your PC's support and driver page to install any drivers and available software you need.

Here is the link to the W7 64 bit ISO file.  Make sure you get the whole file size it says it is.  Sometimes it reports download complete and you don't get the whole 3.09 GB file.

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso 2147483647 X17-58997.iso Windows 7

After you DL the file,  you can use this tool to transfer the ISO file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or DVD.  The tool will make the media bootable as well.

Or you can use your favorite DVD burning program if it has a burn IOS file option and make a bootable DVD that way.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

If you enter any password 3 times when you enter the BIOS admin password, do you get a system disabled code?

If so, please post that code.

Honor Student
David-Williams
Message 3 of 4 (114 Views)

i resolved my issues. took the back off again and plugged my harddrive into the other clip, and unplugged my CMOS battery to reset my BIOS, and it worked like a charm, succesfully removing all the BIOS passwords :smileyhappy:

Thanks for ur help :smileyhappy:

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (102 Views)

You're very welcome.

Glad you got everything fixed!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation