athome34
Message 1 of 7 (4,341 Views)
Accepted Solution

Operating System not Found Error Message Compaq Presario F700 Notebook { 756CA}

[ Edited ]

Hello,  Thank you all for this board!

Specs: HP Compaq Presario Notebook 700 series { 756CA }  32 Bit OS  Wireless

ID# KP027UA#ABC Serial # Edited for security

1 I used an online tech service, as a gift, on Dec23/10. Problems occurred during 5 hour session. PC was fine beforehand.

2 On Dec25 PC would not start. OS not found message shown. Used F8, last known configuration 5 times and it no longer works. Started up on Battery 4 times. It no longer works.

3 Wrote out HP tests for OS not Found { but was for XP and WIn2000} , with Disk to test hard drive. Message fit but

other areas thus did not. 

4 Linked to Vista and Win 7 . It was for Resolve Boot drive not found Error Message.

This message did not fit so waited and did as below.

5 Ran a full scan on MBAM , No Threats    6 Ran Reimage program and 2800+ corrupt or missing files found and repaired. This did not help and used battery on restart.

7 When PC opened Windows updates were gone and 71 needed to be installed. Had to use battery or restart.

8 New updates showed, again . Installed 8 and 1 failed. { Windows power shell 2.0 and WNRM 2.0 , optional}.  Could Not Start on Battery anymore so ran HP test for Resolve Boot drive Error.  Both the Bios Test and Hard Disk test did not seem to work properly as per instuctions, but PC opened normally on restart. I am afraid to turn off PC again.

Ques: 1 Can you please help with the BIOS and Hard Disk tests for my PC?

2 HP support assistant has and does  still show Failed for updates , analysing and gathering data. Why?

Downloaded program early Jan/11

3 Event viewer shows errors messages for Updates  and to contact HP. Examples:  CPU 134 device fails.....windows server failed to start process of some updates. What can be done? This is after new updates.

4  I wish to uninstall the online tech company and all its files etc. Should I use REVO uninstaller.? Windows defender shows ports and exceptions for several parts of this progam. Should I untick them?

5 My AC Adapter is bent at 45%s. Could this be part of the problem?  The  light is on.

Your help is much appreciated. I am at a loss and  a learning user with hours and hours of reading.

Sincerely, athome34

Teacher
AaronM0110
Message 2 of 7 (4,292 Views)

Re: Operating System not Found Error Message Compaq Presario F700 Notebook { 756CA}

Hello athome34, Thanks for the post!

Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing but I am here to help!

"Ran Reimage program"... how did you do so?

To answer your questions:

1. Can you please help with the BIOS and Hard Disk tests for my PC? 

To enter the BIOS, simply reboot your system and at the Compaq/HP logo screen press F10 to boot into the BIOS setup utility. From there you can use your arrow keys to tab over to the "diagnostics" tab and highlight Primary Hard Disk Test or Memory Test. After highlighting the option, press Enter to execute the tests.

To answer your questions 2-4:

Just to try to simplify a little bit, I would recommend running a recovery on the system since there seems to be a multitude of issues stemming from this "tech service" installation. Definitely use HP provided recovery software. There are a couple ways to access this. 

First you can try accessing your recovery partition by rebooting and pressing F11 at the Compaq/HP logo screen. After a few moments you should see the screen display "windows is loading files". Recovery Manager should soon display, then simply follow the steps to perform the "Recovery" option. 

If this is unsuccessful you may need to order recovery media (discs) from HP. Here is a link to do so online. If you prefer, you can also call in to HP Support to order these as well. 

The Recovery will also remove any third party software such as the "tech service" that was giving you problems.

To answer your question #5:

A great way to test your a/c adapter is simply to remove your battery and see if the laptop will start with just the a/c adapter power. If there seems to be any damage you may want to replace the part. Here is a link to purchase a new a/c adapter, or you can use the link above to call in and purchase one.

Hope this helps you! Let me know how it works out!

If you want to give a thank you or just mark a post as helpful, you can do so by clicking the white Kudos Star!

Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'.
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Tutor
athome34
Message 3 of 7 (4,248 Views)

Re: Operating System not Found Error Message Compaq Presario F700 Notebook { 756CA}

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Thank you for your good help. I will follow it and let you know the results.

I ran a reimage program which I downloaded, for Windows, from the internet. The scan begins right away. The only  problems found for my PC were in the Sabilty Area. I ran the  repair to fix and replace files for my OS as well as other files for  Sability issues. Really thought it would sovle the problem.

I have a questions about   the Recovery option .

1  What does :" Windows is loading files" mean?  I never made recovery files on my PC but used generic discs.

2 Can I use the recovery discs I made in August 2010 after I was using my PC for 1.5 years?

3 Or, should I use the initial recovery discs I made after 2 weeks useage?

4 If the recovery option does not work does it mean that I have to make up a set of HP recovery discs?

5 How would I  make up the HP recovery discs from a point proir to the " online tech program " install?

Thanks so much. All your help is appreciated.....Kudos!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 7 (4,242 Views)

[ Edited ]

1-Your laptop came from the factory with reinstall files in the Recovery partition,accessed by tapping F11 key at power on or by using the Start Menu shortcut for HP Recovery Manager. Those are the files that are loading.

2-Not sure what recovery disks you made after using the laptop for 1.5 yrs.HP Recovery Manager normally only allows making 1 set.

3-The original recovery disks made when the machine was new would be the correct set to recover the machine back to factory state.

4-Recovery should work fine.(No way to make another recovery disk set,can be ordered from HP)

5-Your recovery disk set will remove the 'online tech program".

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
athome34
Message 5 of 7 (4,235 Views)

Hi, thank you for answering my Recovery options questions.

I now realize that I made Back up discs.

Ques: 1  Will the Recovery option on my PC return it to an " as New " Vista OS state?

2 Will I Ineed to write out important information from after the. Aug. 2010 Back up?

3  Will the Aug 2010 Back up discs return  files, programs and my Anti virus program etc. , back onto my PC?

3  Are the HP Recvovery Discs for this PC duplicates of what was first installed?

Many thanks for all your help.  kudos!!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 7 (4,213 Views)

athome34 wrote:

Hi, thank you for answering my Recovery options questions.

I now realize that I made Back up discs.

Ques: 1  Will the Recovery option on my PC return it to an " as New " Vista OS state? Yes

2 Will I Ineed to write out important information from after the. Aug. 2010 Back up? Yes

3  Will the Aug 2010 Back up discs return  files, programs and my Anti virus program etc. , back onto my PC? Should restore all files and settings.You should reinstall Anti-virus first.

3  Are the HP Recvovery Discs for this PC duplicates of what was first installed?Yes

Many thanks for all your help.  kudos!!!

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
MALACO
Message 7 of 7 (2,645 Views)

I had a similar problem with my grandsons Presario F700. System would only display "COMPAQ" logo and continously loop without accessing or opening the Windows OS. F8, F11 functions would not work.  I inserted the System Reovery DVD it would not load. I selected  "Esc" and got a Boot Order Option. ATAPI CD/DVD ROM was highlighted. I hit enter DVD began to load and then it failed at the "proceed with recovery prompt" and returned to the "COMPAQ" logo  loop.  I  selected "Esc" and checked the BIOS SETUP UTILITY boot order.  1st - Floppy  2nd - CD/DVD DRIVE  3rd - Int HDD. I used F6 to move the HDD to 1st but got the same result. I then Powered down and reseated the HDD. I got the same "COMPAQ" logo loop. This time when I checked the BIOS. The Int HDD was not listed at all and I could not sense that the drive was rotating. So when out and bought a 250 GB, WD SATA  Notebook Hard Disk Drive. Installed new HDD and this time after loading System Recovery DVD it went right into creating HDD partitions!  Problem solved. Cost $85 for HDD. His Notebook is over 5 years old and has been through some rough times. This is only the 2nd major problem I have had with it. I guess I can't complain.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation