Question

Top Student
vtfoster
Message 1 of 14 (2,636 Views)

Operating System not Found (won't boot from cdrom drive)

I have an HP Pavilion 9710us notebook computer. 

Recently it stopped booting into Windows (Vista operating system) and finally ends with a black screen stating operating system not found.  I checked the help forums and the first thing recommended was to do a hard reset.   This did not change anything.  It then suggested that I run a hard drive test.  I did that and the system did not recognize the hard drive.  I replaced it and ran the test again.  It passed.  I figured I was home free from here but when I go to install a new operating system ( I want to install XP...), the system will not boot from the CDROM drive.  It is enabled in the boot menu and I also set it to boot from the cdrom first.  The drive makes a noise and the led light blinks.....  but it does not boot and eventually goes to the same black screen that states operating system not found.  I thought I might have a bad cdrom drive so I connected one externally via the USB port.  It also makes a noise and the led lights up but the system does not boot.  Not sure where to turn at this point and looking for ideas on something else to try.   Would greatly appreciate hearing from someone out there !  

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 14 (2,619 Views)

Re: Operating System not Found (won't boot from cdrom drive)

Will it boot from any other bootable cd/dvd disc?

Top Student
vtfoster
Message 3 of 14 (2,612 Views)

Thanks for your response....     the only other bootable disk I have is the recovery disk(s).  It will not boot from those either.  One thing I failed to mention is that I do see an error as its starting up that states "No TPM or TPM May Have a Problem."   Not sure if that is relevant or not.   The system had Vista on it before and I want to put XP Pro on it, so that is the Operating System disk I am using.   I have exhausted all my computer "know how" at this point !   Could it be a corrupt BIOS ?  

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 14 (2,590 Views)

It could be a bios issue or a drive problem.

Make this disc and see if it will boot from it

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

choose: Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

inzip it, then burn the iso to a CD as an image, see if it will boot from that disc.

Honor Student
macdaddymark
Message 5 of 14 (2,574 Views)

i am having the exact same problem at this momment, and that did not work either, i just sunk my last bit of cash into this new hard drive, i dont wanna be stuck with a huge paperweight, help please

Top Student
vtfoster
Message 6 of 14 (2,571 Views)

Hi...    I am extremely appreciative for your willingness to help !   I tried downloading the file (latest version on the site), burned it to a disk and ended up with the same result.  As I said, I do appreciate your suggestions !!!!    

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 14 (2,566 Views)

vtfoster wrote:

Hi...    I am extremely appreciative for your willingness to help !   I tried downloading the file (latest version on the site), burned it to a disk and ended up with the same result.  As I said, I do appreciate your suggestions !!!!    

Its one of 2 things, a bad optical drive or a bios issue.

Try this, with it powered off, disconnect AC power and remove the battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, connect AC only, try to boot off of a disc again using F9 boot device menu.

Top Student
vtfoster
Message 8 of 14 (2,474 Views)

Was out of town for a few days......     I tried the system reset by doing what you suggested and it still won't boot up.  I tried another approach that I knew would have problems but it got me part way there.  I loaded Windows XP onto a newly formatted hard drive using my desktopr computer.  Of course it would have all the wrong drivers but I wanted to see what would happen.  When I put that hard drive into the HP laptop, it booted up to the Windows XP desktop!  The keyboard works but the touchpad and "mouse click" buttons do not.  I tried plugging an external mouse into a USB port but that also didn't work.  Do you know a good site to get XP drivers ?  The HP website  only lists drivers for the original Vista operating system. 

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 9 of 14 (2,462 Views)

Please post your full product Number

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/findModel?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Please Do Not post your s/n

HP Product number label.gif

Honor Student
macdaddymark
Message 10 of 14 (2,458 Views)

#2 p/n:FE695UA#ABA

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation