Question

Top Student
chicagoHPgirl
Message 1 of 10 (8,434 Views)

PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE error + new hard drive, hp dv1000

Hi.  This error came up:

FOR REALTEK PCI ETHERNET CONTROLLER
PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE

My friend, a computer guru, suggested I try a new hard drive and reinstall windows via a usb. So I purchased one, popped it in and turned back on the computer to enter the BIOS mode to set it to boot from a USB that has windows xp on it (yes, its bootable).

Problem #1: When I go into the BIOS to change the boot order, USB isn't an option..the only options are network, floppy, cd-rom (no, i don't have my windows cd rom disk), and hard drive. Also tried pressing ESC to change boot order on the boot screen, same options, no USB.

Problem #2: I notice that if I don't press f10 to enter the BIOS menu soon enough it tries to start itself and the error still comes up, just as it used to before i put in the new hard drive.

Anyone have suggestions? I found tons of posts on the net telling people to get a new hard drive and reinstall off a usb... how woudl i reinstall off the usb though if it doesnt even give me the option? One post said maybe the USB is disabled...yet they didn't give any clue of how to enable it so it is recognized as a boot source.

Thanks!

Top Student
chicagoHPgirl
Message 2 of 10 (8,427 Views)

Re: PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE error + new hard drive, hp dv1000

update...

I tried to run a hard drive test in the BIOS and it says "NO IDE FOUND".

How can this be?

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 3 of 10 (8,407 Views)

Normally this result means that the drive is bad, but there is a chance that the controller on the motherboard is bad. It's a 50/50 chance, but I would assume the HDD is bad before the motherboard.

Message 4 of 10 (8,405 Views)

what are the chances though that my original hard drive that came with the computer is bad..and then the brand new out of box one is also bad?

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 5 of 10 (8,401 Views)

The chances of the original HDD on a dv1000 being bad are pretty good, but a brand new one is very unlikely. At this point, I would say the motherboard is bad. Especially if a new HDD is not functioning within it.

Message 6 of 10 (8,399 Views)

thanks for the info.  What does a "Bad motherboard" entail.... a whole new motherboard? new CMOS (?) battery?  Sorry, I am not very skilled with computers and just want to figure out how big of a mess this is.

Grad Student
davezorz
Message 7 of 10 (8,389 Views)

When I say bad motherboard in this case, I am speaking the entire motherboard. So yes, a whole new motherboard.

Message 8 of 10 (7,337 Views)

I have this exact same problem,,,only my existing hard drive went bad so I got a new one and put it in....just to find out it will not read my WIN XP disc or my Spotmau bootable disc.  Without USB drivers installed, connecting via a USB is not going to be helpful.  If anyone has a solution to this problem, We would be interested in hearing about it...please!

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 10 (7,331 Views)

Try Dan's article here on installing from USB:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/How-to-install-Windows-XP-from-USB-flash...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
jaywhip
Message 10 of 10 (2,689 Views)

When you hit F10 on start up anyone run the diagnostics test on the HHD self-test option, then memory check, then start up check, then save and exit, restart the computer and then F2 should become an option then you can get inn and look at the files on your computer and maybe fix what is wrong. Hope this is helpful.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation