Question

Top Student
damien
Message 1 of 13 (10,024 Views)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable message

[ Edited ]

i have a pavillion zv5000 notebook that has this error

For Reatek RTL8139(x)/8130/810x PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

however i have not added any new devices or formated it. it was all runing fine untill sudenly stoped working and rebooted itself with this error. from looking around hp site i take it that my hdd is dead? is there any way if i get a new hdd of geting any info of the old hdd or has it all gone for good?

i have changed the boot order and no change also removing hdd and booting gives same outcome, ran built in check but came up with no hdd so couldnt perform task

i did post this in another board section but had no replies so hope this gets me the help i need

many thanks

Message Edited by damien on 08-07-2009 09:02 AM
Intern
Kesli
Message 2 of 13 (9,999 Views)

Re: PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable message

The long of the story is that this error message pops up when the notebook is trying to load the opertaing system from a Network. So the BIOs is looking for a operating system through your ethernet port. As your not on a intranet there is no OS for the notebook to load hence the error.

What we can do is attempt to reset the BIOs defaults and also run a Hard Disk Drive test to ensure that the HDD is dead. So do the following. On Start tap the F10 until we get into the BIOs once in the BIOS tap F9 then F10 and yes to save changes and exit. If the same error occurs it means the motherboard is not seeing the HDD anylonger and there is no Boot devices and it erroring on the last option to boot from the ethernet.

If the error pops back up boot to the BIOs again and go to the diagnostics tab and run the HDD self test. If it fails you need a HDD. If it says no IDE device found your motherboard might be shot and would require a new on.

Top Student
damien
Message 3 of 13 (9,887 Views)

thanks for the reply

did F10 F9 and reset defaults came up with same error on reboot

ran hdd checker but came up with error no ide detected so looking at what your saying my motherboard if dead

is there any other way of testing the motherboard. i dont have a spare hdd to check and cant aford to just buy parts and it still not work

many thanks

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 13 (9,883 Views)

Your problem is most likely simply due to bad hdd, especially considering the age. When the motherboard dies the laptop won't boot at all, not to say you can't have a bad ide controller..but I'm betting hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
damien
Message 5 of 13 (9,847 Views)

CherylG wrote:
Your problem is most likely simply due to bad hdd, especially considering the age. When the motherboard dies the laptop won't boot at all, not to say you can't have a bad ide controller..but I'm betting hdd.

thanks for the help guess i got to hunt out my new drive now when i get some money lol

if its the hdd thats faulty is there any way of getting the info of the old drive?

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 13 (9,759 Views)

If the BIOS isn't detecting hdd, chances are slim of recovering data yourself_it can be done by professionals at a hefty price. You could try putting it into a USB HDD Enclosure or an Adapter to plug into another machine to see if it can be read.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
damien
Message 7 of 13 (9,748 Views)

CherylG wrote:

If the BIOS isn't detecting hdd, chances are slim of recovering data yourself_it can be done by professionals at a hefty price. You could try putting it into a USB HDD Enclosure or an Adapter to plug into another machine to see if it can be read.

many thanks will have to buy one and check it out will post the outcome once i have it

many thanks once again

Top Student
damien
Message 8 of 13 (9,133 Views)

UPDATE

bought a hdd reader. wouldnt detect hdd. took in pc world for them to check as they do it for free they put it in there recovery tool but said it is bugerd.

so i got myself a new hdd and all is well

if anyone can recomed a good data recovery firm that will be able to get my data back please let me know

many thanks for all the help

Student
Simon51
Message 9 of 13 (5,346 Views)

Hi, we've just experienced the same PXE test failure check cable problem. Ran both tests mentioned by Kesli and on the 2nd HDD test it says it "succeeded". Before this we bought the a new power cable, but that didn't do anything either. Not sure if buying a new battery will fix the problem, only got 5% battery left - just want to back up our Hard drive. Won't be buying a HP again, that's for sure. Thanks for any help.
Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 13 (5,303 Views)

@Simon51

Did you try resetting BIOS settings to Default? Not sure which key on your unknown model, but it should tell you in BIOS setup. Be sure to Save & Exit.

If no joy and you have important files to save look into getting a USB Adapter to plug the hdd into a port on another machine.You should then be able to browse and copy files off to the other machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation