Pavilion dv5-1017 Notebook/Vista/HP Quickplay will not play Blu-Ray DVDs. (9567 Views)
Honor Student
janderson1066
Message 1 of 11 (9,567 Views)

Pavilion dv5-1017 Notebook/Vista/HP Quickplay will not play Blu-Ray DVDs.

Greetings,

I am unable to play BluRay DVDs with HP QuickPlay.  After launching QuickPlay, I get a message prompting me to download the newest version of QuickPlay.  After clicking "Yes," I am taken to a site to download QuickPlay 3.7 v.6112. 

After downloading the program, it prompts me to uninstall the current version of QuickPlay (3.7) so that it can reinstall the new version.  After the installation runs its course, I am still unable to play DVDs, I'm prompted to reinstall the "newest" version again, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

I've tried to install the "upgrade" several times, both after uninstalling my current version of HP Quickplay and after simply leaving the current version on my hard drive.  Nothing works.

Is there a reliable source I can go to to download a functioning version of this program?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 11 (9,556 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv5-1017 Notebook/Vista/HP Quickplay will not play Blu-Ray DVDs.

I'm assuming you bought the notebook with BluRay DVD drive, if it was not just forget about playing it.

Yes, QuickPlay 3.7 v.6112 is the latest version to this date, however, you may have a left over the old version files.

try this, uninstalled the current QuickPlay from control panel, reboot, then delete manually Quickplay folder in c:\program files\.., install the latest version.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Teacher
JAZZER
Message 3 of 11 (9,539 Views)

hi,

you can uninstall the quickplay and download the HP media smart DVD and that will help you play the blu ray dvd without any problems

media smart :-  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43710.exe 

you can also uninstall the quickplay and dowload the latest version from  the link

quickplay :- ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35813.exe 

uninstall the quickplay and the mediasmart using REVO UNINSTALLER as it would even remove the leftover files and registry as well

revo unistaller :- http://c0464521.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/RevoUninProSetup.exe 

just copy the link and paste it in the address bar.

HIT KUDOS IF THIS WORKS OUT..!!!

Honor Student
janderson1066
Message 4 of 11 (9,515 Views)

Thanks for the advice posted here.  I tried several of the approaches listed here, but none of them worked.

-I removed QuickPlay 3.7 v. 6112, deleted the folder under Program Files, and downloaded the QuickPlay version from the link in this thread (which seemed to be v 3.2) and restarted the computer.  The interface was different, but popping the DVD in did not result in anything - the program sat there.

-I removed that version of QuickPlay and went with HP MediaSmart (the install required that I remove QuickPlay).  Trying to play the DVD with MediaSmart gave me an error message: "Format not supported, please put in a movie."

-I then installed QuickPlay 3.7 v. 6310.  I THINK this is the newest version of QuickPlay (released April 2009).  Same issue as before, putting in the DVD prompts you to "Check for Updates" and install version 6112 - which I think is an older version than what is already installed.  Thus the constant cycle of reinstalling the damned program - the newest version prompts you to download and install an older version, which checks for an update and won't run.  However, running the update prompts you to reinstall the older v.6112 version of the program.  Frustrating.

I'll try removing the program and cleaning the registry tomorrow.  I'm too frustrated to attempt anything else right now.

From what research I've done into this issue, it seems MANY people are having trouble playing BluRay DVDs with HP QuickPlay.  It seems that HP is putting BluRay DVD players in their notebooks as a selling point (surely it's good advertisement) but can't engineer the software that will actually allow you to PLAY BluRay DVDs.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 11 (9,509 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is exactly the thing that happened on my mothers dv7. I just gave up since she doesn't use the Blu-ray player anyway. On my dv8 I use a Cyberlink product. Incidentally the HP Media Smart bundled is developed by CyberLink.

I complained so much to HP and Cyberlink about my specific problems, CyberLink gave me a free product as a temporary solution. I see they still haven't found a solution.

The biggest problem with the software is that it has to be HP specific so that it will only work on HP products. This is to prevent any person from downloading it for nothing and getting free Blu-ray software.

How ever in doing this it won't even work in a legitimate situation.

Student
dax13
Message 6 of 11 (7,384 Views)

I am having the same problem with playing a blue ray dvd (I haven't tried a regular DVD).  I have a dv5-1017.

I noticed most of the posts were earlier this year.  Has a new solution been found?

Student
stu11926
Message 7 of 11 (7,272 Views)

I have had exactly the same problem with my dv6700CTO.  It once played SOME Blu-Ray movies, and still plays DVDs, but now it will not play ANY BRDs, even those that it played in the past.  I am beyond frustrated with this issue.  I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against HP for this.

Student
indytsw
Message 8 of 11 (6,208 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried all this and none of it worked. The BD drive worked for a little bit when I first bought the laptop. I think obe of the so called updtes screwed everything up. HP support was pathetic in ths area. It was hard enough understanding the the poor English of the C/S rep.

It seems they have no interest in resolving the problem.

[text removed]

I will NEVER  BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!

Should've bought a MAC!  :-(

Honor Student
davev9150
Message 9 of 11 (3,943 Views)

It seems that the quickplay software is no longer being updated. My blurays from 2009 play fine, but newer ones arent recognized. It just keeps prompting to update the software in an endless loop. Is there any resolution for this?

Honor Student
davev9150
Message 10 of 11 (3,937 Views)

I just tried installing the mediasmart dvd software from the above link, and updated to the latest version, 3820 I think. It will not play any blurays.

So its back to quickplay, version 6112 that is now a couple years old. Movies like transformers2,planet earth(BBC) play fine. Newer movies like 2012,clash of the titans and lord of the rings extended edition are not recognized.

If the manufacturer no longer updates the software to play current movies, they should provide other working software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation