Question

Honor Student
LeftBrain56
Message 1 of 3 (459 Views)

Pavilion dv6700 works, it doesn't, works, it doesn't.....

My niece brought this machine by, having been told by best Buy simply: You need to buy a new computer.

It boots up to Vista fine, but she left me no passwords.

I booted out to <f12> and CHKDSK seems to be progressing OK...

Booting from disk, how can I access a complete set of diagnostics to check everything out?

Thanks very much.

Jim

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 3 (439 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6700 works, it doesn't, works, it doesn't.....

Would you make your post a lot more specific?

What doesn't work?

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
LeftBrain56
Message 3 of 3 (422 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv6700 works, it doesn't, works, it doesn't.....

I wasn't able to be more specific at the time, but what I've seen since my post was erratic boot behavior. The first time I powered it up, it booted to Vista. Several times since, it appears to start the boot sequence, but hangs before the HP or Vista screens come up. Simply doesn't boot up about half the rime, I'd say. CHKDSK yielded no anomalies. Memory check was OK. Brought it up and and did a complete scan (Norton); found nothing.

She hadn't used the machine in a month. There are three restore points set since I've been troubleshooting over last 24 hours or so. Earliest restore point is Vista SP2 Upgrade.

What I was looking for was a complete set of diagnostics. Thanks for your response.

Jim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation