Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

my g6-1354er laptop's  graphic card is Radeon HD 7450M. But when I automatically detect it using AMD Driver Autodetect(which can be downloaded here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool)  it is defined\detected as something of the 6th series, it says Radeon 6xxxM. That driver doesn't work for me, obviously. The strange thing is if I manually download driver (this catalyst package http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064 ) that is said to be for 7xxxM it doesn't work either. It says the version of my graphic card is not supported.

The only driver that seems to be working for my laptop's graphic card can be found here on HP website. The only problem that it is quite old. And here come two questions:

1) Why does that catalyst package not work with my laptop's Radeon HD 7450M.

2). Where could I find the up-to-date driver for my Radeon HD 7450M.

I also tried to identify my graphic card by its ID using this little service http://devid.info/en/search?text=PCI%5CVEN_1002%26DEV_6760%26SUBSYS_166C103C%26REV_00 

and again was confused by the fact that my Radeon HD 7450M was identified as radeon (tm) hd 6470m.

You can check it yourself. My Radeon 7450M's ID is this:  PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_166C103C&REV_00 

Here's the screen of the device manager. I'm sorry it's in Russian, but I'm sure the picture is pretty much self-explanatory. There are IDs on the right and the graphic's name above that or\and on the left.

123.jpg

What graphic card does my laptop really have?

And if it's 7450M why do the amd tool and DevID Agent say otherwise?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion g6-1354er Notebook Computer. According to the specs this model has both Intel HP and Radeon HD 7450M graphics. This model uses HP Switchable Graphics and the both the Intel and AMD drivers are customized for your computer. Use of the "off-the-shelf" drivers by AMD or Intel may not be possible.

Here is the HP Pavilion g6-1354er Notebook PC Drivers page for your computer. This page should have all of the HD provided drivers for your computer.

One option that's quite popular with people who want more up to date drivers, is the third party provider http://leshcatlabs.net/.  I recommend that you read and fully understand why driver signing enforcement needs to be disabled in order to load these drivers and what risks it may pose. You may also consider reading this HP Forum thread entitled "How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI/AMD card?" If you wish to try to update the AMD drivers, please download the AMD Desktop Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 64-bit Driver and follow the preceeding instructions.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion g6-1354er Notebook Computer. According to the specs this model has both Intel HP and Radeon HD 7450M graphics. This model uses HP Switchable Graphics and the both the Intel and AMD drivers are customized for your computer. Use of the "off-the-shelf" drivers by AMD or Intel may not be possible.

Here is the HP Pavilion g6-1354er Notebook PC Drivers page for your computer. This page should have all of the HD provided drivers for your computer.

One option that's quite popular with people who want more up to date drivers, is the third party provider http://leshcatlabs.net/.  I recommend that you read and fully understand why driver signing enforcement needs to be disabled in order to load these drivers and what risks it may pose. You may also consider reading this HP Forum thread entitled "How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI/AMD card?" If you wish to try to update the AMD drivers, please download the AMD Desktop Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 64-bit Driver and follow the preceeding instructions.

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

Hello, Frank, thank you for the reply.

Please, let me clarify  what my question was about one more time, because it seems there's some misunderstanding.

1). I'm not interested in any 3rd party, unofficial drivers.

2). I know the declared specks for my laptop.

3). I know that the model has both Intel HP and Radeon HD 7450M graphics.

4). I know where the drivers page for my model is on this HP website.

5). You gave me the link to Catalyst Software Suite ver. 13.9 (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win8-64.aspx) but I had already said that I did try to install that driver and it failed.

Here's the log:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
11/02/13 20:04:22

Hardware information 
Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor 
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 
Device ID 0x6760 
Vendor ID 0x1002 
Class Code 0x030000 
Revision ID 0x00 
Subsystem ID 0x166c 
Subsystem vendor ID 0x103c 
Other hardware 

Existing packagesPX Profile Update 
AMD APP SDK Runtime 
AMD Display Driver 
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable 
Catalyst Control Center 

Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Fail 
Version of Item: 8.0.915.0 
Size: 20 Mbytes 

Other detected devices 

Error messages 
Application Install: install package failure! 

And here's what I was asking about:

1) Why the driver (that package, whatever it is) from the AMD website fails during the installation.

2). Why my Radeon HD 7450M is not identified as "Radeon HD 7450M" but as "Radeon 6xxxM" or "hd 6470m"

------------------------------------------------------------

Special thanks, Frank, fot the link to the thread entitled "How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI/AMD card?"

I installed the .NET Framework 4 and on the AMD website selected my card from the desktop category (not from the "Notebook Graphics") to download the driver.

The driver that was downloaded was called "13-9_xp64_dd_ccc_whql" and it's 134Mb. It failed to install and gave the same log that I post above (that log I got when the file you gave me the link to called "13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql" failed to install.)

------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to clarify some terms from this first post from the thread "How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI/AMD card?"  (just in case! 🙂

When downloading the AMD driver, be sure to manually select your card from the desktop category. If you use the mobile version of the driver, you will more than likely get a message stating to go to the OEM manufacturer (HP in this case).

Here at the AMD website ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/download )  in "Step 1:  Select the type of system that you have

mobile version stands for  "Notebook Graphics"  and  desktop category  for  "Desktop Graphics".  Correct?

And obviously when I select "Desktop Graphics" in the step one, in the step three I can only choose PCIe version (i.e. Radeon HD 7xxx Series PCIe) when in fact I have Radeon HD 7xxxM. I mean, is it okay.. is it as it should be? For my HP laptop I should use PCI Express version of the driver, not Mobile?

Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Alexander_K,

A;

1) Typically, the 3rd party drivers are "Official Drivers" that have been modded to correct the kind of issues you are experiencing.

2) Many people don't know the specs of their computer and this is merely a courtesy.

3) Again, this is a courtesy as many don't grasp the concept of "Switchable Graphics" and two graphics adapters.

4) Again, this is a courtesy as many don't know how to find the support pages for their computer.

5) I pointed you in this direction because the Desktop driver page is normally more "forgiving" than the Mobile driver page.

B;

1) The driver fails because the hardware in your computer is a highly customized OEM graphics adapter for HP. While the adapter is based on AMD hardware it has been modified to meet the requirements of the HP Switchable Graphics system.

2) Again, because the hardware has been modifed, the "Hardware Ids" may not correspond to the correct hardware in the generic AMD drivers.

Clarifications... correct, you should download from the "Desktop PCIe" driver category.

Without using third party modded drivers, you may not be able to install updated drivers that function correctly on your computer. I have provided all the tricks and resources that I am aware of and if these don't work, you may need to search the internet for a resolution.

Frank

HP Recommended

thanks sir for enlighten me. i had some question as well

1. the "third party driver" you mentioned first, does using it compromise me in anyway? (security leaks or something?)

2. other than NET framework, does this driver needs another thing as well?

sorry for bad english. i would be glad if you can answer this as fast as you can

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.