Question

Top Student
Badfish
Message 1 of 13 (2,057 Views)

Pavilion p6130y with Windows 7 64-bit -- Bluescreen when syncing in iTunes

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a practically new (less than 2 months) HP Pavilion p6130y. It has 8GB of memory and is

running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It came with the matching version of Windows Vista, and a

free Windows 7 upgrade. I upgraded a few weeks ago (full install) and since then I've been

experiencing bluescreen system crashes whenever I run iTunes (version 9.0.2.25, with all the latest

updates) and sync my iPod. (I have 3 iPods/iPhones: an iPhone 3Gs 32GB, an iPod Classic 160GB, and

a first generation iPod Nano 4GB.)

I have a new computer with all the latest software and latest updates. Why is my system crashing

whenever I sync in iTunes? And, is there a patch/update that will fix this?

Thanks,
Dean Major

<text removed for privacy> 

Message Edited by WendyM on 11-22-2009 08:42 AM
Honor Student
ABol
Message 2 of 13 (2,047 Views)

Re: Pavilion p6130y with Windows 7 64-bit -- Bluescreen when syncing in iTunes

I have a similar problem, I get the dreaded Blue Screen when I print Good Quality Documents, during printing my computer shuts down - it stops printing, then I get the Blue Screen and then it beigins to Re-Boot.After it re-boots I get a message window that supposeably will search and correct the problem, but it never works. I just bought this computer (Pavilion p6130y) just 4 months ago with Windows Vista and the free Windows 7 Upgrade, but the blue screen started to come up after I installed the Windows 7 Upgrade, never had this problem before???
Honor Student
pfullmer
Message 3 of 13 (1,979 Views)

Hi,

I have the exact same computer and configuration that you have, and have the exact same problem as you since i upgraded to windows 7.  BSOD whenever I attempt to sync my IPod.  I have an 80 Gig old Ipod which I can restore through Itunes, but any attempt to sync it will crash the system.  I don't have the courage to connect my IPhone up to it yet!  All my drivers are updated.  Anybody have any thoughts. 

Top Student
Badfish
Message 4 of 13 (1,927 Views)

Is anyone from HP Support LISTENING?
Top Student
Badfish
Message 5 of 13 (1,926 Views)

NOTE: I have rolled back to a prior version of my video driver, and now iTunes freezes while syncing (instead of bluescreen). Still can't sync my iPods on a brand-new HP computer with Windows 7.
Honor Student
Sorrow67
Message 6 of 13 (1,799 Views)

[ Edited ]

So I have a 2 day old P6270z,  64 bit win 7 prem. etc etc.  I have blue screen of death issues too.  This is not an I-Tunes related issue, but I thought it might be relevant to the blue screen issue in general.   I play online games like BF2.  I use teamspeak and xfire.  I also like to upload photos to Kodak Gallery online.  The first blue screen came after I installed a Kodak uploader  program that claimed to be compatible.  Then, after calling the hp techs I was told that all blue screens come from either camera drivers/software or printer drivers/software.  Obviously, that guy didn't know what he was talking about.  Yes I am sure there are going to be many incompatibilities and either the software will have to update to Win 7 or we won't be able to use it.  So, I did my first system recovery from the recovery partition and reloaded the above mentioned programs, minus the Kodak one and no printer.  Then during a game of bf2, it had a stroke and went all Bluey again.  This time after an hour conversation I let the guy talk me into sending it back and letting the techs check it out.  I know this is pointless, but on the chance it will fix maybe it will be worth it.  I am planning on returning it within the 30 day grace period and I verified that I could still do so after I get it back from hp.  I am pretty sure it is going to be rough on some of us who want to continue using some of the games and programs we are used to.  I would understand if these went back to win 2000 or 98 even, but these programs worked in vista just fine and xp as well.  Very frustrating.  I had a laptop from hp before this and it had a fatal crash about 1 month after the year warranty expired.  It was plugged into an UPS and sys recovery/restore/format with another operating sys/ every possible thing , it is still dead.  They refused to do anything about it.  1200 for 1 year of life.  I might should have known  better than to buy again, but I had this hp account and I figured maybe this one would be good.  I will post in a couple weeks when I get the repaired pc and let you all know if I get the same problems.

Top Student
Badfish
Message 7 of 13 (1,745 Views)

After several emails back-and-forth with HP Support (mostly suggesting common sense things that I had already tried), they did come through with a fix for my problem. It came in the form of a Windows 7 Hotfix related to this KB article:

“You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

I am a happy iTuneser once again. It's only been two days, so I guess this could still be a false positive, but it seems to be working.

Student
babosayshi
Message 8 of 13 (1,610 Views)

[ Edited ]

Badfish wrote:

After several emails back-and-forth with HP Support (mostly suggesting common sense things that I had already tried), they did come through with a fix for my problem. It came in the form of a Windows 7 Hotfix related to this KB article:

“You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

I am a happy iTuneser once again. It's only been two days, so I guess this could still be a false positive, but it seems to be working.

i would like to thank you for posting this response for i have been struggling with the same exact issue as you had for about a month now. hopefully this will work for me.  Seeing that you had it longer i was wondering how it worked for you so far? thanks again.

Honor Student
wesstrueb
Message 9 of 13 (1,520 Views)

badfish - How did you determine that you had the NVIDIA usb chipset?.  I'm having the same issue, but if I don;t have that chipset, the hotfix most likely won;t do me any good.  So, I'd like to determine that beforehand.

Thank you.

(oh, if HP is monitoring this, my pc is an HP P6115Y, w/ 8G memory & Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.)

Wes Struebing

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 10 of 13 (1,508 Views)

westrueb, yes you have an NVIDIA chipset system

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01817974&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en...

According to the link, this system has an integrated graphics onboard and it's NVIDIA GeForce 9100 so it's an NVIDIA chipset.

Install the patch if you have Windows 7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation