Pavillion G6, How can I identify the correct driver for my wireless network card? (396 Views)
Honor Student
nitrogen
Message 1 of 3 (396 Views)

Pavillion G6, How can I identify the correct driver for my wireless network card?

After a recent clean install of W7 x64, on a new pavillion G6 1c64ca, Device manager doesn't detect a wireless device.

I've tried installing third party (driver manager) software, and it displays 'ethernet controller unplgged '.

The card shows atheros AR5B 225 on the label. I have installed Atheros AR 9485 driver, but which driver is correct for this card? 

IS there a way of identifying all of the correct drivers for this laptop model? 

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 3 (370 Views)

Re: Pavillion G6, How can I identify the correct driver for my wireless network card?

Nitrigen,

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is your computer's webpage - There you will find the appropriate software for this particular system based on the type of Hardware and peripherals sold by HP for this model.

Software & Driver Downloads - HP Pavilion g6-1c64ca Notebook PC

Amongst the categories, there are nine drivers listed for the Network, some of these are for Atheros components.

g6-1c64ca Driver - Network (‏9)

HP Software and Driver Download Page:

• Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Network
  • Select your Driver (Usually the Newest Version)
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the sp*.exe filename and its location.

If you have determined that you require other drivers / adapters:  Add them to the list, download, and note the filename and location.

Install the Wireless Driver:

• Anytime there is a previous version of the driver on the computer, it may need to be removed.  Example:   Control panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > * WiFi Link *  > Right-Click Uninstall  (The name of your driver may be different from the example.)
  • Reboot
  • Install the Wireless Driver installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

Installation Difficulties: 

If you have problems with the driver installation: 

• Add a reboot after the Uninstall, if you had not done this before. 
  • If you still have problems, add “delete driver” to the Uninstall.   Do not delete any drivers that you cannot replace with a new installation.
  • Add: Clean the Registry after the Uninstall (See the Tools List.)

NOTES on Registry Cleaners:

Registry cleaners will usually do no harm – however, anytime you affect the registry with changes, you risk your system’s stability.  CCleaner does include the offer to make a backup of your registry prior to making any changes.

If you select to download and install another registry cleaner, please uninstall CCleaner.  One of these things on the system at a time is enough…

If any registry Cleaner does not offer to do a backup prior to making changes: be sure you EXPORT the registry manually PRIOR to using the cleaner.  If anything happens that you don’t expect, you will have an extra layer of protection on which to fall back.

IMO: Stay away from Registry Mechanic.  I have had this on my systems – it has been cleansed, removed, deleted, and dropped in the Zeros bucket.  This is a Personal Opinion.

Tools List:

Speccy - System Information Tool – Select and install the Free Version:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Registry Cleaner – CCleaner (Select and install the free version):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Nirsoft Driver View - Untility that displays the list of all the drivers currently loaded on your system.

DriverView v1.36 - Loaded Windows Drivers List

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks” for the Help  > > Click the Kudos Star whenever you find a Post that helps you.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution worked for you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
nitrogen
Message 3 of 3 (368 Views)

Re: Pavillion G6, How can I identify the correct driver for my wireless network card?

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the available Atheros driver but with no success. There are 3 different Man. drivers available, I assume it's the Atheros from the sticker on the card. If it's not listed in Device manager and doesn't install drivers,could it be a faulty card? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation