Question

Honor Student
jkersting
Message 1 of 6 (353 Views)

Power director failed to install on ENVY TouchSmart 15-j178ca (win 8.1)

Just got this laptop

its an ENVY TouchSmart 15-j178ca

I bought the laptop mainly for video editing but it came missing the software advertised on hp store.

So I went ot the support page for the laptop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6825...

downloaded the softwae and it fail to install with "This software can only be installed on an authorized machine".

Please help me getting the software I payed for installed.

Thanks,

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 2 of 6 (306 Views)

Re: Power director failed to install on ENVY TouchSmart 15-j178ca (win 8.1)

Hi jkersting, welcome to the HP Forums. I am not sure exactly how to resolve this. PowerDirector certainly was intended for this model of notebook, and the error "This software can only be installed on an authorized machine" is obviously wrong. Was this the exact download?: Cyberlink PowerDirector Software

First check to see if using this method allows you reinstall PowerDirector:Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8). If you can, please do so, and then restart your computer.

If you are unable to do the above step, I would like you to see if it is listed as an option in 'Programs And Features' in your Control Panel to uninstall. If it is, first uninstall it, and then restart your computer.

If it is not working at this point, download the version at the top of this post and install it. Let me know if the error persists. Restarting is important after each step.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
JAC13
Message 3 of 6 (258 Views)

I have also had the same problem and have followed those steps repeatedly with no success.  I receive the same error message regarding no authorization.  In speaking with HP technical support multiple times, the only suggestions I have been given is to restore the laptop with recovery disc to manufacture's settings.  

This computer is only 3 weeks old and I have spent that time configuring and loading it with all the software and personal preferences.  The laptop is functioning fine and as I ordered it directly from HP there is no reason why out of the box it does not come loaded with the software as advertised on HP website.  

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the Cyberlink software would certainly come in handy.  BTW the only cyblerlink software that appears on the computer currently is the Youcam.  

Regards,

JAC13

eric-g
Message 4 of 6 (242 Views)

Dear JAC13,

I have sent you a Private Message concerning this matter.

Regards,

eric-g

I'm a Moderator. I work for HP.
Honor Student
jkersting
Message 5 of 6 (236 Views)

As an HP employee myself I find it rather strange that you answer to a support thread in a private message given that more customers may need the solution for this.

If a private message is necessary please forward it to me.

Student
dsa83
Message 6 of 6 (169 Views)

Hello eric-g,

I also have this problem, not able to install Cyberlink Power Director by the software downloaded from hp support page.

I have a HP envy 15 j011-sp, my problem is that I've formated the PC and the recovery drive was lost. I have an original copy of windows 8, installed with no problems using the original license that came with the PC. Also manage to install all software from HP support, except for power director and photo director. I don't care much about photo director, but I really want to put power director back.

Can you please advise how to install cyberlink power director by the software from the support page? 

Let me know if you need any serial number from this machine.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation