Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you.

Method 1 did not seem to be relevant, but Method 2 is on the right track.  The solution was Control Panel --> HP Protect Tools Security Manager --> Administration --> Administrative Console --> Increase system security --> Pre-Boot Security (uncheck).  My ProBook now boots directly to Windows 8 Logon, which is what I wanted.  This was a very steep learning curve, particularly since” Increase system security” is a misnomer; it actually allows decreasing system security!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

I appreciate your opinion about the preboot authentication. 

However, I am part of a security team at HP and I kind of disagree. Preboot authentication PBA (and whole disk encryption) is actually a strong method to increase a given system's security (mainly physical security).

A PBA environment serves as an extension of the boot firmware (BIOS) and guarantees a secure, tamper-proof environment external to the operating system as a trusted authentication layer. The PBA prevents any operating system from loading until the user has confirmed he/she has the correct credentials to unlock the computer. That trusted layer eliminates the possibility that one of the millions of lines of OS code can compromise the privacy of personal or company data.

If you have encrypted hard disk drive + preboot authentication, then the data cannot be accessed without passing the authentication. However, if your computer's data is not encrypted and there is no PBA if your computer is stolen or if a knowledgable IT guy is present in front of the machine, then all your data stored on the computer is vulnerable and can be access even though your Windows/Linux/Mac might have user account passowrd.

If you would like to discuss this topic, please feel free to reply. I would love to hear your opinion about this.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

I appreciate your opinion about the preboot authentication. 

However, I am part of a security team at HP and I kind of disagree. Preboot authentication PBA (and whole disk encryption) is actually a strong method to increase a given system's security (mainly physical security).

A PBA environment serves as an extension of the boot firmware (BIOS) and guarantees a secure, tamper-proof environment external to the operating system as a trusted authentication layer. The PBA prevents any operating system from loading until the user has confirmed he/she has the correct credentials to unlock the computer. That trusted layer eliminates the possibility that one of the millions of lines of OS code can compromise the privacy of personal or company data.

If you have encrypted hard disk drive + preboot authentication, then the data cannot be accessed without passing the authentication. However, if your computer's data is not encrypted and there is no PBA if your computer is stolen or if a knowledgable IT guy is present in front of the machine, then all your data stored on the computer is vulnerable and can be access even though your Windows/Linux/Mac might have user account passowrd.

If you would like to discuss this topic, please feel free to reply. I would love to hear your opinion about this.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I use pre-boot authentication; however, I have one user ID that I would like to remove without risking my access to computer.  How do I do that?  Do I need to initialize BIOS setting to the point I purchased this laptop?  Please let me know.

I do not wish to see the ID since I deleted the Windows Login ID linking to it.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Please, refer to the attached PDF file below - instructions how to use HP Protect tools software. Due to the fact that HP Protect tools has different versions, the instructions might be slightly different from your version, but the basics are the same.

As for your question, open the Administrative console and click on Manage HP Protect users.

This way you can manage your encryption/preboot user accounts.

You can also check the "Password Manager"

HP Recommended

HP Expert -

I bought an HP Pavilion Laptop that was a floor model from Sam's Club yesterday... I have no disc - it is stuck in demo mode and they did not know the admin password.

How do I get it to a factory reset or reset the admin password?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

i have an hp model p6243w, prod# NY799AA-A3A, serial number:  [edited Serial Number by Moderator]    my e-mail addresses are: [edited Personal Information by Moderator]

my hints are street and year.    i have changed some serial number in the back side of the computeron f5, but cannot open the cojputer.   ll my banking information is there, not much else except e-mails.

HP Recommended

i really do not understand what you are talking about-------i cannot enter a password that will open the computer.   i do not give a **bleep** about outside security----noone else could access this cojmputer

HP Recommended

where can i get assistance to find tyhis.    you have it i think.   can i pay to get the information from you.

HP Recommended

is there a source of some one who can help me

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.