Question

Top Student
maxvelocity
Message 1 of 7 (2,558 Views)

Problem uninstalling MediaSmart DVD

I'm having problems playing any DVDs or Blurays with MediaSmart DVD so I tried to uninstall it (so I can reinstall) but encounter the following Unhandled Exception pop-up window:

Error Number: 0x80040707

Description:  DLL function call crashed: VerCheck.CheckVersion

Setup will now terminate.

I have also tried to reinstall it via the Recovery Manager but to no prevail.

Please help.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 7 (2,532 Views)

Re: Problem uninstalling MediaSmart DVD

[ Edited ]

Have you tried just installing a newer version over top of your present one ? Not from the recovery manager.

When you put a Blu-ray in what sort of specific problem are you having, eg, format not supported, just hangs with a black screen, movie loads and shows the previews and you can't get past the menu to play the movie ?

Also, what OS are you running and what is your full model number ?  Did you upgrade from Vista to W7 ?

Student
peweller
Message 3 of 7 (2,509 Views)

I am having the same problem.

I tried to run a blu-ray, and the error message was that the format was not supported. So I tried to uninstall the program and reinstall, but I am getting the same error message (0x80040707). I tried to install over the existing installation, but the program now does not run at all. I tried a registry cleaner, but while that fixed a number of other errors, I still cannot uninstall or reinstall the program.

I have run out of ideas. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 7 (2,504 Views)

[ Edited ]

The information below was copied and pasted from another post of mine if this does not work then try the next solution.

Go to "Start" > Computer > Drive C > Program Files (x86) > Hewlett-Packard > Media. In "Media" there is a folder there named "DVD", please take a note as how to go back to there, DVD is Media Smart DVD.

Uninstall Media Smart DVD as before with CCleaner and run it's registry cleaner and shut the laptop right down and boot up, do not use restart. Run the registry cleaner again, if it finds more then repeat this procedure until it finds nothing. Always use "shut down" and "boot up".

Go find the DVD folder as described above and if you find it, right click on it and delete it. If you click on it, it should be empty.

If you deleted it then go through the drill of running CCleaners registry cleaner with the shutting down and booting up until it finds nothing.

Save this older version MS DVD to the desk top using IE8, DO NOT click on run to install it from a temporary folder.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-83335-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

It is an older version that so far has played all my Blu-rays with out any problems, even ones that other people are having trouble with like "Inception", "Toy Story 3" and "Avatar" etc. "Little Miss Sunshine" is from 2009 so it should play with an older version anyway.

Ounce the Media Smart DVD file has finished downloading to the desk top, disconnect from the internet by turning of you WiFi radio. Disable your antivirus software and turn off Windows Firewall. If you are running Comodo firewall, unistall it and reinstall it after the installation of MS DVD.

Click on the Media Smart DVD file you saved to the desk top to install MS DVD.

Ounce MS DVD is finished installing shut the laptop right down and boot up. After you boot up go to "Control Panel" and find "Auto Play" and make sure that Media Smart DVD is chosen for Blu-ray play back. If it is not, choose to do so and save the setting. Shut down and boot up. Go back and make sure the change is saved.

Do not open Media Smart DVD, eject the DVD drawer with the button on the drawer itself, insert your movie and let your movie load automatically.

If it says "Press Play To Start Playing" do not do this, but give it some time to load.

Hopefully this will solve your problem. Remember to turn on your antivirus software and firewall after all of this.

Does your movie play on any other computer or a standard Blu-ray player. Make sure it's not defective, I have had a few lemons from Wal-Mart. :smileyhappy:

==========================================================================================

I will write more in an hour, I am going to have you do a forced uninstall and a forced reinstall.

In the mean time down load and install this rar file extraction program. It's trial from rar labs. You will be needing it.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

RAR.PNG

The one in the screen shot is about a third of the way down, it's for 64 bit, which I am sure you are running.

Go here and save this rar file of MS DVD to your desk top :

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/1a4bc425d4/DVD.rar.html

Right click on it and choose to extract DVD to the desk top. After the extraction right click on it and go to properties and in the General Tab it should contain 1,225 Folders and 175 Files. If it does not then Norton and/or Windows Firewall has blocked some of the files.

Go back to drive "C" as you did before to the DVD folder containing Media Smart DVD and right click to properties and see how many files and folders there are. I am just curios, please let me know.

Right click to delete the DVD folder. Leave the window and restore down if you have to and drag the DVD folder that you extracted to the desk top to where you just deleted DVD. It will ask you for permission and click "yes" to do so.

Close the page, restart and try your movie again.

If this does not work, we'll try installing the most recent version of MS DVD. Sometimes installing a trial of Power DVD 10 from Cyberlink, uninstalling it and then reinstalling MS DVD will also work.

There are a few cases where I was unable to get things to work, one of them was where some IT Tech guys installed a bunch of software, and who knows what else and in that case it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack to try and find the one specific thing that kept MS DVD from running. I think in her case the movie would load and just freeze with a black screen.

She did not want to start from scratch because she paid good money for this IT Tech software to be installed and it could not be undone.

All of this may may things worse or better, I have done all of this on my own dv8 and it all works, but then again I am not experiencing any problems with Blu-ray playback.

Here is the thread where all this came from. After you drag the DVD folder of Media Smart DVD in the Media file you may get "format not supported" again. If this is so, reinstalling MS DVD from the above link may fix this problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/HP-MediaSmart-DVD-Not-Playing-Blu-rays/t...

Please take note as well that the version of MS DVD that I am working with may be for a different model. This does not matter as all the versions are compatible with HP computers.

Top Student
maxvelocity
Message 5 of 7 (2,464 Views)

HaggisCat - Thanks for the detail instructions.  I tried installing a new version 4.0.3822 on top of the existing 2.20B2 that I had but that didn't help either.

My problem is that this piece of sh$t doesn't even play DVD (bear in mind Windows Media player plays my DVDs just fine).  It usually crash and exit on first start.  If I start it again, it'll come up to the screen "Disc ready for playing", but if I pop in a DVD/blu-ray and click play, the "arc" progress bar will show up but nothing happens.  I've been through this fiasco with HP support when my laptop was under warranty last year, and the final suggestion after a week of correspondence was to reinstall Vista.   That ain't going to happen.  Then I figured out using the Recovery Manager would get it to work again.  But not this time I guess.

I'll try the Ccleaner this weekend when I have more time and will let you know.  I do appreciate the detail instructions.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 7 (2,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't know what is going on here, but it's not just you. Lately there have been a whole rash of situations like yours. It simply won't play, format not supported, won't uninstall/install, updates in a perpetual loop... On and on.

Grrrr !!

:41

So far none of my solutions appear to be helping and the thing about it is that I never have any of these problems. I have even tried to create a given situation and I can't even do that. Maybe I will tempt Murphy's Law here and I'll have my hands full. 

boink

Student
Abomination2169
Message 7 of 7 (2,158 Views)

Hello all. I've had the same issue with MediaSmart DVD and have been following several forums on the subject. In my case the removal of Daemon Tools allowed for removal and eventually the resumed playback of my Blu Ray Dvd's. Im going to be looking for options to allow both to run without issue. If I recall correctly you may have made mention of this issue in a prior post Haggis Cat. I hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation